Sign in to follow this  
topless

Ipod

After travelling along an increasingly bumpy SH2 the other day and have my normally well behaved 10stacker start farting and spluttering, I decided that this Ipod thing that you all talk about from time to time on the site may be a good solution. Skipping music, especially Floyd, messes with my brain !!! :angry:

HOWEVER, I am completely ignorant of what Ipod to use as there seems to be quite a few models out there. I don't want it to do anything else other than play music through my system so video etc is unnecessary. Also don't have a huge amount of music I want to store so an idea on memory size would be good.

I would also need to know what the best way to couple it up was.

I am aware that I will possibly have to change my head unit, but it has an rca input, so maybe not???

The head unit (Sony) is coupled to an Alpine amp and infinity speakers and tweeters but havn't got round to fitting a sub yet..

Any of you bright young fellas out there got some advice for this old git?? :blink:

Edited by Senilecrunk

Guest Spargo

ipod with 20gig should suit you fine Will.

Alpine HU's have a trick link that allows you to hide the pod away completely.

Have you an RCA input?

Have you an RCA input?

Head unit has one at the rear. Think it is currently being used by the stacker rca cables. Stacker also uses bus type connector.

Ipod mini sounds like it will do the job.

Edited by Senilecrunk

sounds like you will want to get an ipod mini. holds up to 500 song.

You sure? I have a 4G mini and its got just under 1100 songs on it

You gotta get a big boy ipod if you bump to a serious collection of tunes....

I had a 15GB, it doesn't really hold a massive collection of music. Mine was almost full after putting most of my songs in.

I've pawned my Ipod since....got an el cheapo Clarion mp3 head unit for around $200.

All you need then is a stack of mp3 cds...

700MB per cd.... If you get a Disc wallet that holds 25 cds you can have 17.5 GB of music (=4000+ songs?) that doesn't take up too much space in the car.

yes thats true but you must admit that changing discs is a pain,(and dangerous if youre doing it yourself),the discs can be damaged over time and you still have the mechanical vagaries of the player.My next music system will be some sort of mass memory system,,,its always the medium thats the hassle.As soon as i find a head unit that looks at home in my e 34 that has a ipod or similar adapter i will be switching....

I didnt realise till i loked on the interweb just now that sony have a tape deck adapter for thee ipod......might be how i start......spose the quality is ???

Edited by kiwi535

we sell stereo's where i work . that have ipod inputs (some in the front some in the back) and some have ipod interface adaptors . like jvc etc .

call me at work 09-6301204 ask for brent ,tuesday to saturday

I've got the 60GB which has ample capacity. I run it through an iTrip, which ranges from excellent sound quality. through to "throw that f**king thing out the window". Annoyingly, this appears to be completely at random, works fine one trip, then useless the next, in the same car. But unless anyone can tell me how to get a hardwire hook up to my existing units, it'll do.