Sign in to follow this  
beemwr

BMW M44 engine misfiring at 5500-6500

When trying to go 'flat-out' with the m44 engine it has a misfire. Any suggestions as to why?

Cheers

10 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

My guess would be coil or plugs

10 hours ago, NZ00Z3 said:

My guess would be coil or plugs

Done that, pulls weii to 5500rpm then misfire.

10 hours ago, Gaz said:

Get it scanned

Fitted ITB with Link all done on dyno. All good when on that.

Going back to Dyno next week

58 minutes ago, beemwr said:

Done that, pulls weii to 5500rpm then misfire.

$50 scanning it would have likely saved you a bunch of money on plugs and coils.

2 hours ago, zero said:

$50 scanning it would have likely saved you a bunch of money on plugs and coils.

No scan plug to use as such. Wiring through Link (for ITBs) so will have that soft-ware to plug into a computer etc though which I don't have. Figuring around something 'mechanical' has gone wrong'? Had an M42 once that was 'firing off all over the place', eventually was diagnosed  woodruffe key on the front crank had shorn off. Yeah, another dyno session/diagnosis session next week hopeful will sort it? 

For what its worth, I have a M44 Red 318Ti I bought from the forum as a daily and side project earlier in the year, was nice for a while but a few months later it hit a unsuspecting speed bump at 10km and since then been misfiring, scanning codes brought out bad knock sensor and a bad cam sensor which I replaced, checked everything the chain tensioner, and timing, abs sensors, vac leaks, clogged ccv and all I could. Still misfires if going above 2500 rpm or if climbing a hill, otherwise drives well. height adaptation error (121 or something iirc) oh well..?

Edit: Fix?

Turns out I fixed my issue, was all due to the ABS/ASC, Easy fix is basically taking out the ABS electric module and resolder some broken connections, why at certain RPM's the ASC retards the timing on the engine and cuts power and the unit is often without codes, I only found my fix when I had the ABS/ASC light on after 3 months of this ongoing it finally blew a fuse that lead me the right direction, Car runs brilliantly now! Here is where I wrote in detail -  http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/62531-318ti-abs-issue-rough-running/

Edited by The H. Behemoth

On 10/4/2019 at 11:09 AM, The H. Behemoth said:

For what its worth, I have a M44 Red 318Ti I bought from the forum as a daily and side project earlier in the year, was nice for a while but a few months later it hit a unsuspecting speed bump at 10km and since then been misfiring, scanning codes brought out bad knock sensor and a bad cam sensor which I replaced, checked everything the chain tensioner, and timing, abs sensors, vac leaks, clogged ccv and all I could. Still misfires if going above 2500 rpm or if climbing a hill, otherwise drives well. height adaptation error (121 or something iirc) oh well..?

Edit: Fix?

Turns out I fixed my issue, was all due to the ABS/ASC, Easy fix is basically taking out the ABS electric module and resolder some broken connections, why at certain RPM's the ASC retards the timing on the engine and cuts power and the unit is often without codes, I only found my fix when I had the ABS/ASC light on after 3 months of this ongoing it finally blew a fuse that lead me the right direction, Car runs brilliantly now! Here is where I wrote in detail -  http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/62531-318ti-abs-issue-rough-running/

Thanks for that. Yeah, Link software suggested plug gap issue. Settled on a reset to 35. now 1500-7000 rpm produces a nice linear curve now without any misfire. All is good now.

Thanks to all for the posts good folk

'Rivers know this,' we all get there in the end.