Sign in to follow this  
Simcox_325i

Faulty Fuel Consumption Gauge

who cares? it's a gimmick and dubious to it's accuracy in any case. Probably just getting on. Pull the instrument cluster apart and check for carbon build up on that needles track but otherwise it's probably just done it's dash.

escuse the pun.

who cares? it's a gimmick and dubious to it's accuracy in any case. Probably just getting on. Pull the instrument cluster apart and check for carbon build up on that needles track but otherwise it's probably just done it's dash.

escuse the pun.

My fuel useage meter is quite accurate, I wouldn't call it a gimmick by any means.

how do you know? Unless you sit at a constant value on the gauge for a set number of kms and then check the gas used. Otherwise its all in your head - the needle is constantly moving as terrrain and road conditions vary - at the end of a trip you may average fuel consumption somewhere in the range you saw the needle hovering but that's the point - its rough, rough good enough, but not accurate by any means.

Vacuum gauges for fuel usage are indicative only. sorry.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

how do you know? Unless you sit at a constant value on the gauge for a set number of kms and then check the gas used. Otherwise its all in your head - the needle is constantly moving as terrrain and road conditions vary - at the end of a trip you may average fuel consumption somewhere in the range you saw the needle hovering but that's the point - its rough, rough good enough, but not accurate by any means.

Dah, of course the needle is going to constantly move, who's fuel usage is constant???

Averaging is the only way to calculate mpg and as far as averages concern mine is very accurate and it is quite sensitive too as it makes for a wee bit of fun tailgating buses and trucks to get the highest mpg reading as possible from the draft.

Also, where does it say it's vacuum related?

not accurate.

no point.

How do you know it's not accurate, can you proove it doesn't work?

accurate or not....

it only tells you your consumption at that very point of time so if youre a pussy you can use it to optimise your driving (gear choice etc) at that very point in time according to the conditions. But theres no way I'd be using it to calculate the average fuel consumption just from the readings on the gauge. If it was accurate it would be moving VERY quick back and forth.

Use it how you like. It's just another gismo to give me something to play with while I drive. I hate cruising on a trip with it below 11k/l ~ 9l/100k so adjust speed accordingly especially with the fuel prices as they are.

It's not a vacuum gauge, it is sent a signal directly from the ECU. Its one of the wires on the three pin plug of the ECU. You may want to check that plug first.

Replacing the gauge would be your next move. I've have plenty of spares if you want to give it a try.

Yes, thanks Graeme for coming through with the knowledge yet again, I didn't think they were vacuum gauges but wasn't sure.