Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Help, Car has gone crazy

e91 n52 2006

So i simply unlocked the car (everything ok)

Then i got in the car and put the fob in the slot, foot on the brake, start/stop button and nothing, 

I might have briefly saw a key yellow warning or something once, but it dissapeared

I started to diagnose The central locking button on the inside didnt work-

So i went through starting to check fuses, couldnt find any blown

But now it's gone absolutely f%n nuts, it's clicking like crazy, from the glove box where the fuses are

Does this sound like a relay gas gone kaput?

Edited by 325_driver

Flat battery?  What is you battery voltage?  It should be 12.5V

I unplugged the CAS module relay, and the ticking went away

plugged it back in, and when i put the key in the fob and press the button, the clicking begins again

Any one had one of these relays go bad?

Image result for cas module relay

@NZ00Z3 well yes, the battery is flat flat now,

but it was perfect this morning before i unlocked the car

** EDIT ** removing some of the symptoms as that was linked to low voltage, once i got above 12v, i seemed to have some functionality back.

When i have that CAS module relay plugged in (New one from repco), AND i have the battery charger across the terminals, the voltage goes backwards quite quickly.

When i unplug the CAS relay it seems to be stable / gain charge.

Edited by 325_driver

If the relay was doing that all night it could easily drain the battery, then your morning symptoms make sense.

Charge the battery, make sure it's holding charge without that relay and replace the relay.

@M3AN 

Well i some times wonder if it was going mental like that, because it was like maybe dropping below 10v, and the car didn't know what to do, i.e. 

just enough volts to work, and not enough volts to work, because when i checked it, it was 6v!

I've been running the charger on it, and it doesn't seem to climb above 12.25/12.30 volts, and when i disconnect the charger down to under 12v (albeit only been 1-2 hours), maybe my battery just decided to crap the bed? and it all went down hill from there?

Very strange though, never had a battery just randomly go if that's what it is

Set your charger to the lowest amps possible, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery from the car entirely and charge the battery for 24h. 

But replace the relay also.

Well, I re-charged the battery, on the charger i couldnt seem to get it past 12.25V

Car started, > 14.2V when it's running so that rules out the alternator

Stopped the car, Battery rests at around 12.3v

I've tried both the CAS module relay and new for a few hours, and doesn't seem to be any excessive drain

So this whole thing is very strange, especially that noise coming from the glove box at some point, i've heard relay's in the past go and thats kind of the noise.

Is 12.3V a bit too low? and maybe indicative of a battery heading towards end of life? I would have thought the range might have been between 12.5v-12.7v

I found this somewhere, is this accurate? Bentley manual apparently

IMG_20130130_114516.jpg

I'm just hoping all of this is as simple as, battery is dying, me fiddling round with fuses with a battery with very low volts caused it to go into a hissy fit.

Thanks for all your insights

Edited by 325_driver