Sign in to follow this  
Sidedoor

Dash lights

At the risk of sounding like a grommet

I have just picked up my first bmw

a tidy little 85 525i

Unfortunately it didn't come with a user manual so I know F*@K all about what all the lights mean

Could someone tell me what the Green Orange and red square lights mean.

They are located under the inspection and oil inspection.

Also what is required when the oil inspection light turns on. I had only checked the oil the day before and it was about 3/4 full.

Cheers

:ph34r:

Good question mate and welcome,

this is what this website is mainly about, helping people out. If you have any other questions, use the search button, up the top of every page.

each green light represents 2,000km's.

So when 2000km has been travelled one light will go out. untill all have gone and an orange light will show. After 500km travelled, this light will turn to red. Saying that your service is now over due.

This replace's those fugly sticker's in the top right hand corner of the windscreen, which the writing fades over time and you cant read it.

These lights can be reset by you or by your bimmer mechanic.

The other lights usually come on after a set amount of time or if the inspection light stays on after resetting this usually means that your intrument cluster battery's are gone or the join has gone dry.

Not urgent at all - it all depends on whether they were reset at the last service. To turn them off requires you to remove the instrument cluster so as to remove the cluster batteries and/or the LED's themselves.

Most people either just ignore them and leave it on red all the time, or reset them whenever the car has its oil service.

A bmw mechanic can reset them using a tool, or you can do it yourself by following the instructions here.

Welcome to the forum.

Look in our F.A.Q. forum group at the thread entitled S.I.Board - General Info as this will explain everything including how to reset the service indicator lights yourself using a simple paper clip if need be -0 don't take the thing apart unless you need to.

Tim your post rocked my face in helpfulness!

awesome! you must not be umm smoking much right now then?..

Thats great guys, Cheers

One less thing to fix

Now if I can only find out how to Install a new lock barrell

Fix the whiny air con fan

and adjust the idler

I'd be set

if you have an inspection and oil showing your next scheduled service is an oil change and an inspection,I or II