Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

Leather Interior Refurb / Colour Change DIY

1 hour ago, BreakMyWindow said:

What’s the plan of attack for cleaning/maintenance on them? Just wash with soapy water?

I've just been using my Fireball interior cleaner on them (love all their grooming products) - I think a damp cloth would do the same job really - no need for anything special on what is synthetic coated leather.

1 hour ago, fatjoez said:

how much will it cost to pay a shop in auckland to do this for a sedan?

which shops do it?

I imagine a shop would charge you minimum $2K - its a huge amount of work.

This job was more involved than mine and obviously more thorough, but gives you an idea - now imagine the shop labour...

Hey, I've actually been thinking of doing this on an e31. Going from the factory grey to the same colour as you. Seems like furniture clinic is out of stock now though and are only bringing back limited colours when they return. Fingers crossed this is one of I find an alternative. Did you have to fill any cracks? 

On 2/2/2021 at 1:46 PM, Karun said:

Hey, I've actually been thinking of doing this on an e31. Going from the factory grey to the same colour as you. Seems like furniture clinic is out of stock now though and are only bringing back limited colours when they return. Fingers crossed this is one of I find an alternative. Did you have to fill any cracks? 

Is that their UK or US site? I ordered some more product in December as I just did a little refresh on the front seats last weekend as the matte clear was getting a little shiny - they (UK site) still seemed to have Caramel available.

I didn't need to fill cracks - minor cracks / creases like the ugly before shot below naturally fill with the colourant as it is sprayed on.

I did fill a very small hole (less than 5mm across) with leather glue which I sprayed colour over - bigger cracks would be a similar process - the leather glue they have is flexible, dries quick with a hair dryer and can be built up and sanded back and coloured over.

1719175198_IMG_1894copy.jpg.76006955ff45dc12b0200ea1ffd6ba24.jpg

Screenshot_20200127_155522.jpg.cdf8c0c1144bddfd8f41e8d2ae1df5c7.jpg

Thanks for the reply! I didn't know they had two different sites, just got in contact with them through email and got that information. Will give the uk site a go. Ya their products seem to be really good

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Karun said:

Thanks for the reply! I didn't know they had two different sites, just got in contact with them through email and got that information. Will give the uk site a go. Ya their products seem to be really good

Yup, I've had no issues - only reason I topped up the fronts after a year is I'm anal and it only took a few hours - no issue with colour transfer etc, with the caveat my car is fastidiously cleaned and maintained and the interior never sees food and drink, and seldom a passenger.

• Thanks 1

hahaha it'll be for my dad and he's the same. We'd get in trouble for looking at the car with food in our hands growing up 😂

• Haha 1