Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

My new foglights

hella comet 550 fog lights - fit nicely into the surrounds and wire up easily to all the wires that aree already there for the bmw ones, so slapped the relay and fuses in the fuse box plugged in the lights and bolted them in.

this is them not finished mounting yet.

post-8-1077341153.jpg

looking good ollie....its fun pimping round with fogs and parking lights on...hah nah they make a big diff in how much light is on the rd

Guest Andrew

that is just awesome ollie! Are you going to put little black surrounds around the light? Did you wire it up so one click on the light switch turns on the fogs? Or do you have a switch for the front fog - I only have one for the back.

no surrounds sorry. yes they come on at one click, two click and three click and need to get a double switch from the wreckers that replaces the single rear foglight switch. failing that i'll install an aftermarket one. cheers

i need your opinions i can a. pay $25 and get a bmw double switch to replace the single rear fog switch or i can pay $2 for a nice little after market switch. what shall i do?

It's only a switch, go the $2 option. Why pay $23 more for something that is no better?

Cheers

hella comet 550 fog lights - fit nicely into the surrounds and wire up easily to all the wires that aree already there for the bmw ones, so slapped the relay and fuses in the fuse box plugged in the lights and bolted them in.

this is them not finished mounting yet.

how much did you pay for these? I'm wanting to upgrade my front lights (headlights, spot lights) as i can't see the road.

Was also wondering if you know people from christchurch that does HID kit installs too? or advice on where and who to go to? seen a few on TM but don't know who i can trust?

thanks mike.

Like your E30 too!! nice n tidy!! :D

Woah! Thread dig world record! Check the last post date before digging something out of archives. :)

In answer to your query though, HID lights are illegal on E30's. More info here:

can't remember how much they cost sorry.

Not actually sure they are STILL available either - seriously!

can't remember how much they cost sorry.

How could you forget, it was only over 6 years ago.

Resurrecting the thread may have been to my good fortune as it attracted the attention of my google search tonight.

I am a newbie here and I am seeking your collective advice on replacing the front foglamps on my E30 1991 318. Unfortunately, it failed it's warrant today with one inoperative and one cracked slightly. I tend not to use them, so I am just looking for a cheap fix. It's tempting just to remove them, but the car will look naff with 2 holes in the front.

Google tells me that if the units and reflectors are sound, I can just replace the glass lenses with some patience and silicon and of course some new lenses. Does anyone know if the lenses are available in NZ?

Failing that..... does anyone know of another cost effective way of solving this problem?

Thanks......

Woah! Thread dig world record! Check the last post date before digging something out of archives. :)

In answer to your query though, HID lights are illegal on E30's. More info here:

Oh i wasn't even looking lol... 6 years ago huh?! oopps :o

Sweet thanks for the heads up! just like "Dumbass" I'm also a newbie on here :)

Resurrecting the thread may have been to my good fortune as it attracted the attention of my google search tonight.

I am a newbie here and I am seeking your collective advice on replacing the front foglamps on my E30 1991 318. Unfortunately, it failed it's warrant today with one inoperative and one cracked slightly. I tend not to use them, so I am just looking for a cheap fix. It's tempting just to remove them, but the car will look naff with 2 holes in the front.

Google tells me that if the units and reflectors are sound, I can just replace the glass lenses with some patience and silicon and of course some new lenses. Does anyone know if the lenses are available in NZ?

Failing that..... does anyone know of another cost effective way of solving this problem?

Thanks......

Pre facelift?

I have a couple of foglight blanks that maybe usefull.

Hi Westie,

Thanks for the offer of the blanks, however I might try and get the Foglamps working again as the glass looks better (I think?)

I will remove them to get the car through the WOF and then try and import some polycarb lenses. Could be a "dumbas" idea, but how hard can it be? Just noticed a small problem however, neither foglamp is working and when I select them "on", I do not get the "on" light indicating on the dashboard. It could be a double bulb failure or something more sinister. So some more questions, if anyone has any experience in this field;

1. The fuses look OK, however the handbook mentions a relay K8 in the fusebox; could this be the problem, and

2. If I do replace the bulbs, other websites float the idea of using larger bulbs. I am a bit cool to this idea, however if anyone has had sucess I would interest in hearing about it.

Thanks in anticipation.

Is there a K8 relay in the fusebox? some cars don't have them... Laziest way to check it is to get someone to push the button whilst you listen for a click.

I wouldn't put higher wattage bulbs in, if memory serves me, which it never does. 55/60w bulbs draw around 4-5a each.

if you double that, that's around 10a each, the fogs are only fused at 7.5a(each), so I wouldn't trust the wiring for the foglights to be rated any higher than that.