Sign in to follow this  
chuckitinbro

e61 key fob not working

So the E61 i brought from dealer came with only 1 fob which doesn't work for remote locking. I've done a fair amount of googling on it but so far no progress.

Checked the diversity antenna and while it had some light oxidization in places it wasn't rusted or anything. I've cleaned those spots with a toothbrush and contact cleaner but no change. Checked all the fuses are ok front glovebox and rear above battery. checked continuity on the red/white power wire from the fuse box to the antenna. it also has 12v. pin 2 has 4.5v odd. A test i read said to monitor the voltage when you push the key. if its getting a signal the voltage should change. mine doesnt. that then says to check the aerial. Not sure what i'm meant to do there?
The fob is sealed so i cant just swap the battery without cutting it open. It's 315mhz so i tried a test i found of tuning my tv to analogue 315mhz then pushing the buttons. the static then shows lines on the tv so i believe the fob itself is working.

Any one got anything else i can test before i dive into the hinge wiring ?

I would suggest starting with the tailgate wiring loom, mine was a mess and needed 5 wires replaced /repaired. 

^I also just finished reconnecting I think 8? wires in the tailgate..

crazy, there were so many wires snapped/cut in there.

ok looks like thats what i'm in for. dealer said they'd pay a few hundred towards it but i'd rather get another key fob with that $ than pay for wiring that i can do. everything else seems to work except maybe the demister. so i'll just do the right hand hinge to the glass/spoiler and see what it looks like.

Did you guys remove the rear glass or just pop the hinge bracket, pop the bottom rivet then pry the wire cover apart?

lol if the dealer is offering to fix it (or pay towards getting it done) do that and save yourself the hassle.. its a bloody nightmare in there.

you dont need to remove the glass btw

Glass stays put, you need to lower the headlining to get at it, you can pry the metal loom covers apart with a small screwdriver, but its not a fun job....

I thought I had my wiring issues fixed but still dont have central locking for the front two doors. FML.