Sign in to follow this  
topnotchrally

How to add cruise control 1999 Z3 2.8

Yesterday I a purchased the below Z3 from a seller on Trademe.  1999 Z3 2.8 manual etc.  When the ad on was trademe someone posted in the questions a compliment for the car and that CC could be added to the car easily.  Unfortunately the ad is gone and I forgot to take a copy.  Anyone know who or how to do this? Thanks.

Z3.jpg

This is for a different motor.  But the rest of the gear will be the same.

https://zroadster.org/threads/cruise-control-retrofit.20484/

Also Brent has a good parts car for you.

Edited by Driftit

I appreciate your response that system is not for this car. This is a 99 with a DBW system (there is a cable, though ultimately throttle movement is controlled by a computer).  It has ASC so to add CC it should be an ECU flash and finding some wires under the dash to connect switches to... I'm speculating.

I saw that bmworld car but its almost 3 years ago... I've enquired anyway.

There is quite a few retrofit guides covering the Z3's on that site.

Hi James

I'm the guy that posted the comment.  You have a very nice Z3.  No too many manual 2.8 or 3.0L Z3's about in N.Z.  I only know of 1 Manual 3.0L Z3 somewhere in Auckland.

I have done 3 cruise control installs on Z3's.  As you car has the M52TUB28 engine, it is the same install as doing a M54 powered Z3.  It takes about 20 to 30 mins to do.  Plug and play, just need two parts.

See this guide.  https://zroadster.org/articles/bmw-z3-m54-cruise-control-retrofit.25/

Don't get hung up about the "Fly by Wire Throttle" comment when you discover that you have an accelerator cable.  Your car has the first version of the BMW fly by wire throttle (MDK) that was a halfway step to a fully fly by wire system that is used on the M54 engines.  The M54 cruise control system works on your car.  I fitted it to my M52TUB20 powered Z3 and have fitted it to a Facelift Z3 with a M52TUB28 engine. No DME coding needed.

The only thing to check, is that you have a clutch switch fitted.  You should have one, but check while the covers are off.  If there is no clutch switch, then you have to fit one.  The wiring will be there for it.  There are 2 types of switch. Early Z3's had a 2 wire switch and the later Z3's had a 3 wire hall effect switch.  Use www.RealOEM.com to get the part number for your particular car.

The ZRoadster.org forum is one of the better Z3 forums.  Lots of good information in the resources section and Z3 & Z3 M Roadster & Coupé Knowledgebase.  Very friendly and helpful people.

Feel free to send me a PM if you have any Z3 questions.

Regards

Murray

Thank heaps! This is what I was expecting and I was hoping you'd find my post.  Cheers.