Sign in to follow this  
Dave Murray

Best way to get a replacement key

2006 BMW Z4 E86 3.0SI 

So I'm 6 weeks into ownership and slowly working through the things I want fixed/done to the car.

It only came with one key, and looks to be original. The remote function will open the boot, lock the car, but it won't unlock the car.

Car will unlock/lock using the central locking button in the car center console. So I'm hoping it's the key....

But need another key anyway.... So... Where and how?

I understand the official method is via a BMW dealer, who uses VIN no, and proof of ownership etc, then has one sent from Germany (expensive).

I've tried the other, a cheap copy from China (Aliexpress), and attempting to reprogram this key while inside the car, turn master key 5 times, press and hold open button while pressing lock button 3 times..... No luck. Didn't work. Also, the cheap copy buttons were very stiff.

Any thoughts or suggestions lads. I'm up in Whangarei 😁😁

IMG_20210130_072001.jpg

6 hours ago, Dave Murray said:

I've tried the other, a cheap copy from China (Aliexpress), and attempting to reprogram this key while inside the car, turn master key 5 times, press and hold open button while pressing lock button 3 times..... No luck. Didn't work. Also, the cheap copy buttons were very stiff.

You need to leave the ignition turned on for 5 seconds not turn it 5 times

• Thanks 1

this model has a cas module. you need proper software and tools to program key. I can program keys for all euros and Japanese cars. you can post your cas module to me and i can code and cut new key for you. 

else you can try a locksmith. though I am in Auckland in a few weeks and can do one while you wait. :)

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, promo said:

this model has a cas module. you need proper software and tools to program key. I can program keys for all euros and Japanese cars. you can post your cas module to me and i can code and cut new key for you. 

else you can try a locksmith. though I am in Auckland in a few weeks and can do one while you wait. :)

Double dutch to me, what is a cas module? Key wanted also😑

On 2/12/2021 at 2:29 PM, promo said:

Are you still offering this service? So post the CAS and the new additional non coded key and away you go?

9 hours ago, KiaKaha said:

Are you still offering this service? So post the CAS and the new additional non coded key and away you go?

Easy... Can supply, code and cut.