Sign in to follow this  
Herbmiester

Thoughts on my E70

I bought an E70 X5 40D a few months back to replace my trusty old Highlander as the family vehicle. I didn't gel with it at first probably because the previous owner left it in a pretty untidy state and my OCD got the better of me. After a few wash's and a thorough interior clean I started to appreciate it. I had the intake ports and inlet manifold de-carboned and fitted a replacement EGR valve. This made quite difference performance wise and my economy improved by just over 1l per 100kms and it also got rid of the dreaded check engine light. Ironically the light did not cause the check control to report a fault. The 40d makes 225kw and 600nm so it gets up and goes for a big heavy thing. I have had a few traffic light drag races and have surprised a few punters including a boy racer in his WRX who finally flew past at 100kph only to see the blue flashing lights a few seconds later. I had to laugh as he was a typical flat peak bogan with a fart cannon exhaust.  I was going to buy an E53 as I think they are a great looking wagon but I wanted better safety and I was underwhelmed by the performance of the 2 diesels I drove. The ZF8 speed is a great gearbox with smooth quick shifts, I have driven a few BMW's with this box and it always impresses me. My 40D has the M Sport suspension and its pretty firm, body roll is minimal and I am still surprised by how much lateral grip there is even with the average Bridgestone Duelers. That said it does run on 275 and 315 runflats so replacing them wont be cheap. The downside is that the ride can be a bit crashy over rougher roads; on the highway though its a treat. On twisty roads you really can push it, the steering is quite direct and the sport seats have decent bolsters to hold you in. It is a pleasant place to be, and the CIC while not as nice as NBT works fine and the heated seats front and rear keep the woman of the household happy on cold mornings. The biggest downside is my wife likes it and I often find it gone and I am resigned to her Bio Hazzard Skoda. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

57 minutes ago, lord_jagganath said:

The E70 is a really nice place to be in. does yours have ride height adjustment? 

It does have rear air springs which adjust if you are towing or have a heavy load. 

4 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

The biggest downside is my wife likes it and I often find it gone and I am resigned to her Bio Hazzard Skoda. 

🤣 

Congrats on the E70 40D, that's my pick too!

• Like 1