Sign in to follow this  
topgear

Top Gear Track Day - Saturday 20th May 2006

Calling all Top Gear Fans!

Saturday 20th May 2006 will be the first ever Top Gear Track Day, and it's right here in New Zealand at Pukekohe.

You'll get a chance to take your car around Pukekohe, get some great tips from the pro's, and also see the stig in action!

http://www.topgeartrackday.co.nz

If anyone is interested have a look at the site.

If you can get a group together of 6 people or more we'll be happy to offer you a group discount.

Interested?

The Stig

I'm sure we can get a group, what $$ are we talking?

heard about this a while back before the website worked....looks great!

dead keen

I have been invited to this, from what I can tell the cost is $375 (which includes lunch etc etc)

From the FAQ

How much is it to take part?

The cost for drivers is $375 +gst per person. This includes a finger food buffet lunch. If you wish to make a group booking call us now for a price.

Can I bring a friend to share my car?

Yes, the cost is $75 per person sharing your car, which includes lunch. Pre registration essential.

Don't mean to rain on the parade but its a lil high on the pricey side for a track day.

tis indeed, a normal puke day is $90

still...depends on discounting!

If you can get 6 people or more in group to come we'd do it for $295 +GST each.

I can do a national Race meeting there for cheaper entry fees. But, it is not as cool as having “the stig” there and the poss of meeting Clarkson (is he coming over for it). Hope so. He is funny as all hell.

Get in and support this.

Uhh.. i dont get whats so cool about it? I mean you bring your OWN car... and..you pay like 4 times as much?

Its just not gonna be better than taupo. Im out.

suitable to bring race cars to?

Can I bring a race car?

No, sorry, the day is for road-registered cars only.

Guest Andrew

Can I bring a race car?

No, sorry, the day is for road-registered cars only.

fine i'll bring a "road registered" race car.

Why don't you wait a week & bring your race-car to the Ford Muscle Car day at Taupo, They are running on the new track [everyone is welcome,they are just the host club] costs $65.00

If you aren't rebuilding your car at the track,you usually get in about Ten Races for the day

I'm not a member & they have ALWAYS WELCOMED me

you can even take home a trophy

Spend money on your own racing [why support the ego's of some pommie television "star"]

Why don't you wait a week & bring your race-car to the Ford Muscle Car day at Taupo, They are running on the new track [everyone is welcome,they are just the host club] costs $65.00

If you aren't rebuilding your car at the track,you usually get in about Ten Races for the day

I'm not a member & they have ALWAYS WELCOMED me

you can even take home a trophy

Spend money on your own racing [why support the ego's of some pommie television "star"]

what sort of racing? race cars only? sounds pretty cool

Me and my brother and a few mates run race cars, we're allowed to take passengers[cars with rollcages].I try & teach 'em religion [make them pray, ha ha!] there's about 5-10 race cars & about 60 road cars in various stages of modification. It's really laid-back. This year should be interesting with the new track.

All cars get a basic scrutineer,all drivers/passengers must wear helmets,closed in shoes,and cotton overalls[minimum] & no alcohol until the dayis over

sh*t...sounds awesome..would love to try out new track too

fire extinguisher rules? i normally carry two, but they prob aint Motorsport NZ approved or whatever

tempted...where you go to sign up?

Five sessions of 15 minuts for $375 + GST at Top Gear track Day, or Five sessions of 20 minuts at puke test days for $90 inc GST.

What a deal!!

A few people with BMWs are looking at going to one of the test days on the first 2 saturdays of June if any one is interested.

:D always pays to have those fire extinguishers handy Gus, in the car or the garage. Hope to be back at the beginning of June so Puke sounds sweet David. It will be like Taupo you can beat me all over again.

Fire extinguisher are only required for MANZ logbooked cars [WOF & Rego'd cars wouldn't require one, instead of spending $375.00 on Bullshit Topgear days [spend $90.00 on a normal track day, & put the remaining $285.00 towards a fire extinguisher, & maybe some lunch]

You guys should support your own racing/club activities a lot more!

Here we have a situation where at 10.57am 9th May,Somebody signs on to this forum calling themselves TOPGEAR[without leaving any personal information]. One whole minute later,they are trying to plug you guys into an Overpriced Pommie TV track day,Then sign off calling themselves THE STIG [what a load of F**ken bullshit]

C'MON YOU GUYS,YOU'RE NOT THAT BRAINLESS. support your local Club activities.You all know each other,so you can have a lot of fun at; Track Days, Street Racin', Partying or Whatever

Guest Spargo

Here we have a situation where at 10.57am 9th May,Somebody signs on to this forum calling themselves TOPGEAR[without leaving any personal information]. One whole minute later,they are trying to plug you guys into an Overpriced Pommie TV track day,Then sign off calling themselves THE STIG [what a load of F**ken bullshit]

C'MON YOU GUYS,YOU'RE NOT THAT BRAINLESS

I like you already

I'm a big fan of Top Gear, but it is mainly for the humour, and secondly for the odd good car they test. Clarkson is quite funny, but his large stature is also matched by his large ego, and he is no race car driver. (Tiff Needell on the other hand IS!)

Anyway, the world famous "Stig" is quite possibly more than one person, do a Google search and you will learn about the indentity of the first "Stig" who was Perry McCarthy, and the second "white" one is rumoured to be several different people, depending on who is available. Quite a clever marketing tool, and if one "Stig" packs a sad you have plenty of others ready to step up to the plate! And the "Black" Stig as depicted on the track day website is "dead"( that is Perry)- he is the one who launched off the aircraft carrier in an XJS to be replaced by the "white" Stig.

Which brings me neatly to my point, over in England people pay about 150 pounds for a track day, and these are very popular and sometimes booked out. Over here in little old NZ though, as others have pointed out, it costs you $90 for a public day at Pukekohe with more track time,so $375 for a track day, using my own car, and with "tips from the pros" (which sounds like a group session of "don't crash into each other") just smacks too much of being a money making venture with NO REAL ADDED VALUE, with only the promise of seeing "Stig" in action (who could be Ray Williams in a black race suit and helmet!) and none of the other Top Gear crew.

Thank you Top Gear for the invitation, but I'll pass on that one. :thumbsdown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

Edited by conrod

Guest Andrew

Five sessions of 15 minuts for $375 + GST at Top Gear track Day, or Five sessions of 20 minuts at puke test days for $90 inc GST.

What a deal!!

A few people with BMWs are looking at going to one of the test days on the first 2 saturdays of June if any one is interested.

I'll be there - is peter able to make it.

I'm in a mad rush to get some brakes on my car. Do you have access to Brett's car?

I agree with you Conrod, Top-gear is one off the Best Motoring-journalist programmes around,good humour & entertainment for the masses.

But the Networks make their money from advertising [Not from their Television subjects] I'm sure they do.

This Track day is clearly a commercial proposition, and somebody is trying to use this forum to plug it.

I wonder whether the BBC has relenquished the use of the name "TOP-GEAR" or "THE-STIG" so some bullshitter can use it on this website & claim to be both.

I wonder whether the BBC has relenquished the use of the name "TOP-GEAR" or "THE-STIG" so some bullshitter can use it on this website & claim to be both.

Most likely linked to NZ topgear magazine I would guess.

I'm a big fan of Top Gear, but it is mainly for the humour, and secondly for the odd good car they test. Clarkson is quite funny, but his large stature is also matched by his large ego, and he is no race car driver. (Tiff Needell on the other hand IS!)

Anyway, the world famous "Stig" is quite possibly more than one person, do a Google search and you will learn about the indentity of the first "Stig" who was Perry McCarthy, and the second "white" one is rumoured to be several different people, depending on who is available. Quite a clever marketing tool, and if one "Stig" packs a sad you have plenty of others ready to step up to the plate! And the "Black" Stig as depicted on the track day website is "dead"( that is Perry)- he is the one who launched off the aircraft carrier in an XJS to be replaced by the "white" Stig.

Which brings me neatly to my point, over in England people pay about 150 pounds for a track day, and these are very popular and sometimes booked out. Over here in little old NZ though, as others have pointed out, it costs you $90 for a public day at Pukekohe with more track time,so $375 for a track day, using my own car, and with "tips from the pros" (which sounds like a group session of "don't crash into each other") just smacks too much of being a money making venture with NO REAL ADDED VALUE, with only the promise of seeing "Stig" in action (who could be Ray Williams in a black race suit and helmet!) and none of the other Top Gear crew.

Thank you Top Gear for the invitation, but I'll pass on that one. :thumbsdown:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stig

Okay, so thanks for that Stig link...did you read that he's ploughed a $1.3M Koernigserg through a tyre wall?

As for Top-Gear and The-Stig here in NZ doing a track day...easiest way to confirm this is a real Top-Gear event and is to email the BBC show in the UK and ask whether this is a Top-Gear sanctioned event, EOS.