Sign in to follow this  
LsBeema

Adaptable silencers for the wife and neighbours anyone.

Gonna work or nah...

Will inspect dB levels then chuck some fiber on ends or maybe a tad  in center with something so it doesnt clog...

20211020_133507.jpg

20211020_133453.jpg

20211020_133420.jpg

20211020_140821.jpg

20211020_140808.jpg

Edited by LsBeema

I'm having a little trouble working out what part the plain steel (silver) tube plays in this assembly ?  The black painted items appear to be resonators/hotdog mufflers with one end cut off, and if the outside of the resonator slips inside the outlet of your main muffler, then they will form a significant restriction to flow.

If the non-perforated steel pipe is placed inside the louvred pipe then you will pretty much nullify the sound absorbing potential of the hotdog while providing a straight through path for exhaust (and sound) exiting the main muffler. The purpose of perforated tubing is to allow sound to pass out of the tube into the sound absorbing packing, and you would be preventing that from happening.

From the title of this post I guess that you are looking to make a removable assembly that you can use around and remove when at the track. I applaud your consideration :) I would suggest that you might get a better result if you omit the inner non-perforated pipe and make some kind of cone to feed exhaust gases smoothly into the louvered section. If possible re-pack the hotdog with fibreglass exhaust mat, and clamp the extensions onto the main muffler outlets.

Definitely not a performance modification, but combined with a light right foot it may be enough to keep your neighbours happy.

Cheers...

51 minutes ago, jon dee said:

I'm having a little trouble working out what part the plain steel (silver) tube plays in this assembly ?  The black painted items appear to be resonators/hotdog mufflers with one end cut off, and if the outside of the resonator slips inside the outlet of your main muffler, then they will form a significant restriction to flow.

If the non-perforated steel pipe is placed inside the louvred pipe then you will pretty much nullify the sound absorbing potential of the hotdog while providing a straight through path for exhaust (and sound) exiting the main muffler. The purpose of perforated tubing is to allow sound to pass out of the tube into the sound absorbing packing, and you would be preventing that from happening.

From the title of this post I guess that you are looking to make a removable assembly that you can use around and remove when at the track. I applaud your consideration :) I would suggest that you might get a better result if you omit the inner non-perforated pipe and make some kind of cone to feed exhaust gases smoothly into the louvered section. If possible re-pack the hotdog with fibreglass exhaust mat, and clamp the extensions onto the main muffler outlets.

Definitely not a performance modification, but combined with a light right foot it may be enough to keep your neighbours happy.

Cheers...

Lovoured part is directional(as you know) and spiral. You can even see through at certain angles some fumes could/would get through while being absorbed.  I had 2 18 inch ones before this free flowing muffler which didnt do jack, while testing if it could make a difference for the 2nd cert inspection. The aim is to make it adaptable mainly for my driveway at home so if I leave early in the am or come back late at night the people in the pther street doesnt get any hernias. 

Lets test the concept for the flow of gases of my version of a removable silencer that which the center pipe is long enough for exhaust gases not to bounce back and escape, but to be absorbed...well thats the concept...lest see homs..😎

Could of bought 2 of those for $35+- .

Had these laying around at 25 ea. So decided to do things my way...

Screenshot_20211020-224620_Chrome.jpg

Edited by LsBeema

I have seen those "canister inserts" being advertised as being helpful in toning down "cannons". And they may have some effect by restricting flow, forming an expansion chamber inside the cannon and reflecting some of the sound back into the muffler. But I have never seen any test figures, so probably more to disguise the cannon so the WOF inspector doesn't pick on it :)

Pushing some exhaust gas down the outside of the plain tube and into the louvres won't do any harm. But like water, gas will tend to take the path of least resistance which will be down the inside of the plain tube. Certainly worth a punt... I'm all in favour of trying something different when the opportunity presents. It might just do enough .

Cheers...

So which part silences the wife? I'll take a set when you crack the solution. 😁 

10 hours ago, Twistee said:

So which part silences the wife? I'll take a set when you crack the solution. 😁 

Haha... a few if not all of thee 5 LOVE languages works for me and many-o-maneth around thee worldeth my brrueth💘💓💕💖=🤗😘😍 which wil get you 🤐

Not a great vid. But pleased agin with the design. Will test the acoustics at the place of sleep on whether fibre is needed...bit satisfied as is.

SAY HELLO TOO MY LITTLE FRIEND!....any.one watched scarface...

Sooo Pleased!! Will chuck a tad of fibre in the center but allllll good. Wife and neighbours will be at peace with no windows and neighbours neighbours with no teeth rattling. 😎

Will take out one more looop of the spring to make it abit toighter ayy

Earphones.. 

I20211022_074925.jpg

Edited by LsBeema

On 10/22/2021 at 10:16 AM, jon dee said:

REV IT UP !!!!! 😉😀😎

Was built for idle. Thats all it takes to move 1300 kgs with 6.0ltrs of torque homs. Drives AMAZING !! oook on topic. ...yea man...will do  differnece vid. 

Edited by LsBeema

11 hours ago, LsBeema said:

Was built for idle.

Ahhhh... OK. Gas flow and sound are low at idle so anything that makes the exhaust pipes smaller will block some of the sound. Won't help with high rpm performance but you likely don't need 6000rpm to keep up with city traffic :D

Cheers...

Supertrapp style silencer on a Jeep... sound data at the end of the clip... too much blah... blah... in the middle :)