Sign in to follow this  
raptorme

2002 E46 330I

Hi all - have bought the above car with a manual swap.

We need to do a clutch sometime soon and the info we can get after getting underneath the car is...

Getrag gearbox 

On side of gearbox 220.0.0228.86

On the plate underneath 0045511 AJT

Hoping someone can help on the model of gearbox or clutch kit to purchase. We have a noisy throw out bearing and sometimes slips in 4th and 5th. Not very often tho.

Am in Dunedin.

Thanks for any help.

16371212564233031667431141709305.jpg

Is it running a dual mass or solid flywheel?

There a blue or green plug for the flywheel lock below the starter motors but its plastic and may break off. Id try my bore scope up the bell housing drain if i had to do it myself. 

I think I went to have a look at this one a few months ago when it was on sale up in Nelson? First thing that stood out was that it's missing any kind of fan behind the radiator, neither clutch fan nor electric. That flagged it as an instant no go for me as don't want to mess with the risk of the engine having overheated and having the head warp or possibly worse.

If I were you, that's the first thing I'd sort out ASAP. These engines don't cope well with even minor overheating and running it without any kind of cooling mechanism is just asking for a cooked engine.

Best of luck

Thanks Vass and you are correct - this is the one from Nelson and definitely needs 'work'; which I'm not that worried about. 

We have fixed quite a few issues with it already and this is my sons car and he wanted a project. Certainly got it in this car but we are not scared of the work required. Haven't had the cooling issue and we are about to pull the engine to do quite alot of the mechanicals including gaskets and clutch.

Thanks for the concern and hopefully you can help with some advice as we go through our build.

8 hours ago, raptorme said:

Thanks Vass and you are correct - this is the one from Nelson and definitely needs 'work'; which I'm not that worried about. 

We have fixed quite a few issues with it already and this is my sons car and he wanted a project. Certainly got it in this car but we are not scared of the work required. Haven't had the cooling issue and we are about to pull the engine to do quite alot of the mechanicals including gaskets and clutch.

Thanks for the concern and hopefully you can help with some advice as we go through our build.

No worries, definitely the right thing to do with the overhaul, looked like it wasn't getting the right attention that car but hopefully in safer hands now.

Happy to share advice wherever I can, as are most folks on here with way more knowledge than me :)

With the cooling fan I'd recommend going for an electric one - can pick up used for around $100. Hopefully the wiring is still there and intact. Simple plug and play and way less mucking about than with a clutch fan.