Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

What diff ratio would you suggest ??

Hi guys,

Having completed my project on the 318 TI MTech 2.8L (see rides) I now need to change the diff ratio. I am currently using the stock 4.44. What ratio would you suggest ??? I was thinking of using the 3.94. This is only a roader and I'm running the 5 speed auto. Yes I will be going LSD.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Andrew

I'd think more down in 3.64 terrirtory would be idea - plus you'll find it easier to find slippery diffs in this ratio.

Is the 4.44 diff in the 318 medium case? (6 bolt)?

Being an auto box, are the rpms screaming at 100kph with the 4.44?

Yes, I made a mistake...I meant to type 364... yes it is a medium 6 bolt case.

The rev counter reads double at the the mo...need ta get that sorted yet

Guest Andrew

Yes, I made a mistake...I meant to type 364... yes it is a medium 6 bolt case.

The rev counter reads double at the the mo...need ta get that sorted yet

If you are getting rid of the 4.44 and its medium case i REALLY want it!

Who's gotta 364 ??? Include a price. Doesn't need ta be LSD...will do that later.

100 kph in 5th lockup is 2000rpm

Cheers

Glenn

Guest Andrew

Who's gotta 364 ??? Include a price. Doesn't need ta be LSD...will do that later.

Cheers

Glenn

I have a 3.46 LSD - Would be willing to give you the gearset and transfer my LSD centre to the 4.44 for my racecar - let me know if you be keen.

With that value I wouldn't want to go much lower as it'll be a pig to accelerate as that's already a fairly low rpm@100kph even for a 2.8!!!

Birch ave auto wreckers in Tauranga have a 3.64 E36 Diff, I only saw it the other day ph them[07]5782400

normally $395+gst will do it for $316+gst [$355.50] plus freight

Ask for Simon [use my name for referal if you want to]

Cheers Kerry

Are you sure this is right?

Not far off std 328.

Like Carl said,dont think you want to go any lower :o

what are you trying to achieve from changing the diff? because going lower would just be a pain. And also 2000rpm at 100kmh? why are your revs reading double.

I tried 4 different six cylinder dash's in the car, including the 328 dash, and they wont work in my car(pin configuration is different and I lost other functions). I have spoken to my instrument tech and he said he probably can modify the tacho signal. The 318 tacho runs @ 2,000 k and the 328 runs @ 4,000 k,its a software thing not the instrument. So therefore I'm not 100% sure of the revs. At 100kph the tacho reads 4,000rpm, at idle it's reading 950 rpm, so I'm only guessing that its 50% of what it is showing at 100kph. The car is very, VERY quick of the mark but changes up very quickly, far to quickly unless you are fanging it. The diff ratio in the car I took the motor and box out of (E36 328 Coupe) had a 364 in it and mines a 444, but the case was larger/different so I couldn't change it over.

Thanks for the info Kerry, but a E36 Sedan/Coupe diff is different to a E36 Compact. The casings are different. I can get plenty of those, but dont know if the crown wheel and pinions will swap over. That's why I'm asking the questions. If they will fit in my casing, I only need to change over the crown wheel & pinion to get what I'm looking for. My ETK does not tell me bearing or shaft measurements, nor does TIS.

I was hoping someone in the group might have done this before, could save me some time & trouble if I could speak to someone who has done this.

Cheers

Glenn

If the diff in your ti is a medium (unlikely) then yes, you can swap the ring/pinnion from the E36 328 casing (also Medium).

The ratio for a 5spd ti is 3.38, I think Brent has one of these.

But these are small case diff's and won't last long if abused, may be OK behind the auto though??

If the diff in your ti is a medium (unlikely) then yes, you can swap the ring/pinnion from the E36 328 casing (also Medium).

The ratio for a 5spd ti is 3.38, I think Brent has one of these.

But these are small case diff's and won't last long if abused, may be OK behind the auto though??

sh*t !! I'm havin a blonde week....sorry for wasting peoples time with this one.

Yes the case is a small one :wacko: