Sign in to follow this  
Deffed

Smg to stick

Can anyone tell if the smg 6 speed in 05 650 can be convert to stick H pattern.

Yes but id imagine trying to source manual parts for a car like that would be hard. At the min you'd need manual box, shifter linkages\parts, pedals, hydraulic lines and parts and recoding.

Give Ray at HellBM a call, he has done a number of SMG to manual conversions, not sure about the 650 though.

35 minutes ago, Deffed said:

Iv got the gearbox,but iv heard some cant be changed.

It uses the same SMG system as earlier non M cars so don't see why not. As above HellBM may know more.

Iv finely got every thing to start gtr build,it ran a sequential but id prefer H pattern. 

On 1/30/2022 at 6:33 AM, Deffed said:

Iv asked those guys they never reply.

Prefer to keep their secrets  😃

Yep every body that has any clue is like that,i will sort it myself have found one person that can help.

M60b44,6 speed,m3 rear end and front end,xyz supersport suspension m3 breaks,weld on rear guards carbon fiber front guards and hood rear seat delete. Also have complete 650i that im going to compare its components to m3 maybe run 6series under side keeop m3 gear for sedan v8. On the next for convertible to build a ute. 

On 1/30/2022 at 4:49 PM, Deffed said:

Iv got the gearbox,but iv heard some cant be changed.

It occurred to me you may of been talking about converting the SMG box itself to H pattern? (i was thinking SMG vehicle>H pattern at the time)

If so then its not practically possible to convert as the shift actuator is bolted on to the rear housing to form part of it, then uses a shortened internal selector rod (SMG II is just a external actuator attached to the H pattern shift rod). It could be done i think if you had a broken H pattern swapped parts ove

As far as i know the 650i never had SMG III which was for M5 and M6. SMG II was for E46 M3 but used the same system setup iirc.

Edited by Eagle
correction

Its weird,look up 2005 650i doesn't exsit,look up 06 its there. N62b48 06,n62b45 05.  

Cheers for the help everyone,its still seem pretty up in the air what gbox is in it. Once its out il update and post progress. Anyone looking to convert e46s to V8 il will be offering this as a drive in drive out procedure as long as the base engine components are avaliable.

I didnt see that, posted at same time. Yeah would be good to know. Does certainly seem to be some conflicted info looking at pictures and part numbers. Catalogue pictures have always been correct in my experience but maybe they arent in this case

Either way if it looks like the above its a no go if not then you should be good.  

Lol allgood,iv had issues with engines and gearboxes that bmw agents can't even answer,if it more than 10 years old they have no clue. Once i take the box out il post a pic. 👍  

• Like 1