Sign in to follow this  
balancerider

Help with horn replacement - Wellington

Paging any local Bimmersporters who would be happy to help me replace my horn (inside front left wheel arch liner) - happy to reimburse you with beers or $?

Have tried to do it with wheel on but access is a bit limited, especially to the bolt holding the horn to the bracket, see attached pic (bracket is held on with a pop rivet so would rather not remove whole bracket). Alternatively any suggestions to free this bolt welcomed...

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 4.58.23 PM.png

Having trouble visualising this.... with the wheel off and the arch liner removed, can you get a spanner on the nut ? Image looks like there is only a half nut holding the bracket and that will make it harder to get a good grip with a spanner. And, if memory serves, those nuts are damn tight meaning just heaving on it with a spanner may only twist the bracket.

Have you tried getting the bracket off the new horn ?

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
bored...

@jon dee I've been trying to do it with liner off / wheel turned (I don't own a jack) - spanner on the nut just seems to bend the bracket which is made of thin aluminium and I think the nut on the new horn is loctited on too

Yeah... was a long time ago and not on a BMW, but I think I ended up using the bracket on the new horn. It had the wiring connection in a different alignment to the original, but I was able to "stretch" the wiring to reach with a bit if finagling :)  Mind you, the horn attached to the chassis with a bolt and not a rivet, and I was able to bend the bracket to make the horn fit in the available space. 

Relocating the horn might be an option ?

Cheers...

Last gasp option... it looks like that horn has an adjustment screw on the back. If the existing horn makes a sound like an adolescent duck with a frog stuck in its throat, it would be worth trying to get a tool into that adjustment and turn it. One way should raise the tone and the other way should lower the tone. However, if you have 12V at the horn and can't get it to make a noise by turning the screw in either direction you are out of luck. 

Cheers... 

Horn

15 minutes ago, jon dee said:

Last gasp option... it looks like that horn has an adjustment screw on the back. If the existing horn makes a sound like an adolescent duck with a frog stuck in its throat, it would be worth trying to get a tool into that adjustment and turn it. One way should raise the tone and the other way should lower the tone. However, if you have 12V at the horn and can't get it to make a noise by turning the screw in either direction you are out of luck. 

Cheers... 

Horn

It's definitely dead. Low tone horn is known to die prematurely (from excessive use maybe?!) on the F3x

Hi

If you just need help to jack up the car & get the wheel off I can bowl around and help you with that. I have a trolley jack, some ramps if needed to raise the car a little to get the jack under, and some axle stands.  But I haven't worked on F series before so I don't think I'll be any help with the actual horn removal part.

• Like 1