Sign in to follow this  
Kees

I bought another one....

Since I got my Manual W8 Passat, the rooted wheels have really annoyed me. Went to wheel-fix it to see how much it would be to give them a refurb. The polished lips were oxidised and decently curbed, and the painted centres were bubbling. To have the wheels properly sorted they would need to be chemically stripped and painted which would cost around $3K.... 

Plus I was still on the hunt for new tyres. 

Came across an NZ New, Auto W8 Passat, with much tidier wheels, wrapped in RE003s, and in the same colour as the manual! So I made the unique decision to buy it just for the wheels. 

Is actually quite a well kept car with a service book which is completely full. Was dealer serviced until around 2015 and judging by the RE003s (which are now on the manual one), it had been pampered more than most W8s. 

Got quite a few looks on the drive home. Not sure how many times in human history, two silver W8s have been cruising together! 

Driving the pair back to back is very interesting. The auto is nice enough on the motorway but feels pretty sluggish around town. Manual transmission really transforms the car in my opinion. Also, driving them both home from Hamilton, the 6-speed manual got 9.1L/100km whereas the 5-speed Auto said it got 10.4L/100km. 

But anyway, having owned it approximately 24 hours and having swapped the wheels, the auto is up for sale!

Would make a great tow car, long distance cruiser or winter beater.

Has the rare leather and alcantara Recaro bucket seats which are electric and heated. Also has a factory VW tow bar and probably is one of the tidiest W8s left. 

Have no use for the car so its now on trademe if anyone wants it. Can do a decent deal for Bimmersporters, although I doubt anyone would want it 🤣

Depending on how long it takes to sell I will probably get bored and start taking more bits off it to swap with the manual one. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/volkswagen/listing/3556110221?bof=6Myl2HdR

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

Edited by Kees
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Sammo said:

More fearless buying by @Kees 😂

Yup, living dangerously! 🤣

Edited by Kees
  • Haha 1