Sign in to follow this  
Surge

Starting troubles - M10 318i

Since swapping the 86 Early Motronic M10 into the 84 L-Jet (I think it's L Jet) car I've yet to manage to get it to turn over.. I'm using the engine loom with the original computer - onto the later model Motronic engine.. So running L-Jet on a motronic engine - hopefully the changes I made below would have countered any differences.

Naturally I'm assuming it's the starter motor - Just wondering on the two bolts, where do the wires go? One on either side or both on one bolt - as per my other car - Red and black on one bolt, also there is a black yellow wire that hooks onto a spade connection - there is two on the starter, but one connection.

Is there a quick test that can be done on the starter motor to make sure it's running?

Had the problem with fuel supply, the motronic car had 3 lines where as the earlier car had two, I think it has been sorted, just swapped the throttle bodies over to one that doesn't have an additional outlet... (Vapour into the throttle body?) Do the later injectors run on the earlier management? The fuel pump works and pumps fuel when the ignition is turned on.

I've swapped the thermotimer sensor over from the earlier engine to the later one, as it had only one connector and the other had two.. Everything else pretty much plugged in.

If anyone is knowledgeable regarding this please post up, would appreciate any advice and help - and I'll pay someone $20 to the winning post who gets the car started! :pimp:

So no one has any ideas on this? Fairly desperate for anything to move it forwards!

Pull the starter motor out and slap 12V (preferably a battery due to current needed).

If it cranks, it's not that.

As an AA member, I'd call them and say it won't start and let them diagnose it for you.

Edited by cainchapman

Most (i though all) E30 M10's are L-jet. Mines the very last of them and is still L-jet. Maybe your early car is K-jet or something?

Can take a look and my car or bentley manual if you want...

Still keen to take that dud M10 off you sometime.

Edited by petone

Ah yes, Totally forgot about that M10.. It's fairly stripped at the moment.. Not much left on it as I've been swapping things left right and centre! Still haven't got that damn thing started in the new car..

The earlier car (with the new engine) has a rectangle plug, the newer one has a round plug (therefore just assumed it was Motronic) - Both L-jet?

Both are L-jet but changes were made thru production. According to bentleys theres atleast 3 different variations on the M10 L-jet system alone.

Also, to really make things fun there are 2 different ignition systems used (Bosch or siemens) You are aware L-jet is fuel only?

Check simple things is all I can suggest, battery charged etc...

As you should be able to swap bits over easy enough from motor to motor

Dont forget the starter motor has a common earth to the engine block.

TO check starter motor: Place it in vice, hook the biggest terminal to the postive on the battery, use big wire. The negative to the body of the motor. Now use a medium guage wire to connect from the positive on the battery to one of the spade terminals on the solinod(sp?)lol

Guest Andrew

Dont forget the starter motor has a common earth to the engine block.

TO check starter motor: Place it in vice, hook the biggest terminal to the postive on the battery, use big wire. The negative to the body of the motor. Now use a medium guage wire to connect from the positive on the battery to one of the spade terminals on the solinod(sp?)lol

You can actually use your tongue to jumper the solinoid - it feels pretty cool

DISCLAIMER: If you die while jumpering solinoid with tongue I take no responsibility :D

Naturally I'm assuming it's the starter motor - Just wondering on the two bolts, where do the wires go? One on either side or both on one bolt - as per my other car - Red and black on one bolt, also there is a black yellow wire that hooks onto a spade connection - there is two on the starter, but one connection.

the blk and red wires go together on the starter motor, the blk/yl wire comes from ign switch to starter solenoid, which has 2 spade terminals when used with a by-pass system.When you turn ign to crank, there should be 12v on the blk/yl terminal

Got the problem sorted via some outside help, but Cruznz had the correct information that was provided to me prior. (Turns out the spade connector wasn't connecting)

PM me your account details Cruznz.

Now the engine starts, runs for a bit and cuts out - drove it half way home... Going to take it to GAC for a good lookover.

sounds like it might be a fuel issue,hows the filter,pump pressure, fuel pump relay too as i had a problem with that once.airflow meter possibly as it has a fuel cut on it