Sign in to follow this  
Aalto

Thinking of buying 220i

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and new to BMW having sold my Golf a while back.

Thinking of taking a look at this one https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/220i/listing/3515171892?bof=herzRoFO

Looks awesome a bit of me but What should I be aware of? Have read online about problems with fuel pump, twin turbo, airbag recall and EGR cooler?

Hopefully this is ok to ask here

cheers and thanks

That's well priced for very low kms, but budget pending, would try stretching to an Msport, or better yet, an M235i.

This gen is pretty good by BMW standards, if you're going via a dealer though, just throw a warranty on top and enjoy stress free motoring.

• Like 1

Its a great looker. If you are coming from a GTI you might find the performance a little underwhelming. Timing chain issues with the early N20 can happen, but at this mileage you would think that should be unlikely.

13 minutes ago, Sammo said:

That's well priced for very low kms, but budget pending, would try stretching to an Msport, or better yet, an M235i.

This gen is pretty good by BMW standards, if you're going via a dealer though, just throw a warranty on top and enjoy stress free motoring.

Thanks! Sammo, appreciated - I wish re the others!

13 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Its a great looker. If you are coming from a GTI you might find the performance a little underwhelming. Timing chain issues with the early N20 can happen, but at this mileage you would think that should be unlikely.

Thanks! Tony T, appreciated. Was a cookie cutter Golf, but expect a bit more with a Bimmer! Hopefully be ok re the chain, thanks for the tip

6 minutes ago, Aalto said:

Thanks! Tony T, appreciated. Was a cookie cutter Golf, but expect a bit more with a Bimmer! Hopefully be ok re the chain, thanks for the tip

I've not driven a 220i but I would suspect the ZF 8 speed auto with 290nm on tap from 1350rpm in a relatively light car will feel plenty lively around town.

Can also be remapped later to add 50hp and 100nm plus if 'needed'

4 minutes ago, Sammo said:

I've not driven a 220i but I would suspect the ZF 8 speed auto with 290nm on tap from 1350rpm in a relatively light car will feel plenty lively around town.

Can also be remapped later to add 50hp and 100nm plus if 'needed'

Cheers Sam, suspect you could be right! May have a drive soon.. thanks for the tech info

Personally I would struggle without the M-Sport kit on it, but there is not a lot of choice for 2-Series coupe in NZ.

Great little fun cars, very chuckable!

Thanks Jon, nice E30. Yes, not much choice, it fits in my small urban garage, Ill have a drive and see how I go. 

Still concerned re the timing chain on early N30 engines, hmm

You really shouldn't have timing chain problems with that mileage. Just budget to replace it at some future point, say 60k km, or whatever distance you feel comfortable with. 

Pass, get a M135i instead.

6 hours ago, TonyT said:

You really shouldn't have timing chain problems with that mileage. Just budget to replace it at some future point, say 60k km, or whatever distance you feel comfortable with. 

Thanks Tony, appreciated