Sign in to follow this  
aenima

e36.. "Tail Light Failure" message

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and was just wondering if anyone could help me out.

I have just bought my first BMW (1993 320i) and today I got an alarm professionally installed. I drove it away and on my way home I turned on my lights and a "Check" icon came up on the dash and a "Tail Light Failure" message appeared on the vehicle management scanner? (Don't exactly know how to use this yet). I stopped and checked the back lights and everything was working normally, checked brake lights and indicators and everything seemed ok. Does anyone know why this message has shown?

Also, I need a new central locking motor for the driver door. If I look for one from a BMW scrap yard would one from any 3 series model work? Who would I have to see to get this installed? Electrician?

Thanks in advance :)

dont know about the lights but you could do the motor yourslelf for the door in 20 mins easy..

if it the problem happened just after you had an alarm installed then take it back to the alarm people and geth the to fix it, i.e power the alarm from another source other than the rear lights.

as for the central locking motor check and clean the connection between the door and the the car. the connection often wears out or corrodes from all the opening and closing of the drivers door.

if that don't fix it then just get a 2nd hand motor and whack it in.

Cheers I'll go back to the alarm place tomorrow and tell them bout that.

And I'll give the central locking prob a go too, I'm hoping the door panels aren't too much of a mission to take off... I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks guys

do you have the special edition cd cover of the aenima album?

damn trippy thing

it has a hologram type plastic case and in the booklet are various "moving images" some rather explicit. the main one is the one pictured in your avatar, when you tilt the case a freaky eyeball comes into view.

good album nonetheless, stinkfist = best tool song ever

Ok well the problem was nothing, my left brake light was out when I went to the alarm place. I don't understand how I missed that, I checked them last night and all seemed ok :blush: Meh. I must say tho, I'm pretty impressed that the computer can pick things up like that, bit of a change from my old corona.

And yeh I know the eyeball you're talking about. Yeh my top 3 tool songs wud included stinkfist, schism, and aenima obviously.... :mosh:

If you're getting intermittent "check brake light" warnings and the lights are fine replacing the brake pedal micro switch will fix it.