Sign in to follow this  
Holcal

New here, in what looks like great company

Hi everyone, I thought I should say since I've only recently joined.  I've been thoroughly enjoying reading through all the posts and seeing some beautiful machines here. 

I started my driving life with a 1984 E30 318i. Such a fantastic analog car to learn to drive in. Alas, that was over 20 years ago, and until now I haven't had the joy of owning another one. 

I've had my F07 550GT for 9 months,  and I love this car. Yea, she has a few quirks, and has cost me a few dollars, but in terms of comfort coupled with her ability for outright speed, I couldn't be happier. Having never owned something with the power as this car has, I have strangely found that I'm quite happy cruising behind slow cars with the knowledge that if I want to, I can easily go past, but mostly don't. 

Of course I'm certainly aware that I do have the N63B44O0 engine, with all the potential problems that entails. The previous owner has had the stem seals replaced, along with alternator, starter and water pump. 

I do know I'm up for expensive repairs if something does come up with the N63, I do look after it, with regular services and maintenance. 

The only change I have made is the muffler delete, and while a little louder than I thought it was going to be, I do love the sound of that v8. I think the tips do look the part. Such a well made and solid vehicle with the nice touches such as soft close, and electric seats front and back (it is a 4 seater).

I do have a couple of plans for the future, such as a tune to unlock some more power, but for now I do really love just getting in, pushing that start button, and going for a drive. 

Oh, my partner is also a BMW owner with her 2010 X1 sdrive18i.  Both cars in sapphire black. 

Anyway, that's me, and I look forward to meeting and talking with you all in the future. 

20220911_161223.jpg

20220911_161306.jpg

Edited by Holcal
Tags added
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Holcal said:

I have strangely found that I'm quite happy cruising behind slow cars with the knowledge that if I want to, I can easily go past, but mostly don't. 

This 100%! Tales me back to when i purchased an E60 m5. Told the dealer “its not so much about trying to take everything on the road. Its now about knowing that i can if i want too - but don’t!” 😎

Welcome and great to see a 5-series GT. I think they’re quirky cool and practical! 

Edited by treone

That's exactly it 😀. The total opposite mindset from the ej20 legacy wagon I had before. 

I'm still surprised about how much I can get in it with the seats folded down. 1700 litres of space is nothing to laugh at. 

The only thing I really don't like is the charging system in it. I don't drive long enough most of the time, and I can only charge the battery manually if I completely disconnect it from the car. Something stops it if I don't. But if that is my only complaint, I'm more than happy. 

I've always liked having something a bit different, and I've only seen 1 other in the wild since I bought it. 

• Like 1

I think they are good value, especially if you go in aware of what the possible issues are. Agree they are an oddball, but I think they are a long way from the worst looking thing to come out of bmw design. Welcome along.