Sign in to follow this  
thorns

330e /530e Hybrid Power

Seeing more and more of these pop up now, and maybe interested in one for the wife as in theory the eletric range would cover 90% of the her daily driving.

Curios though, is it fair to assume that if you have burnt through the batterys eletric range and its switched over to the petrol engine, if you went to put your foot up it to overtake something quickly you would only have the petrol engine power output, rather than the 250-260 combined HP?   Or does the car always save some battery for this type of situation?  

Based on my admittedly older activehybrid 5, there is always at least 8-10% of charge in the accumulator. I would assume it would be the same for the *30e .

the torque converter has been replaced with the electric motor so in theory when there is slip, it charges the battery.  also, with these, the sport mode acceleration would use the full power. not the comfort or normal modes

On 10/13/2022 at 9:58 AM, thorns said:

if you went to put your foot up it to overtake something quickly you would only have the petrol engine power output, rather than the 250-260 combined HP?   Or does the car always save some battery for this type of situation?  

The battery is never fully depleted, they get rooted pretty quick if that happens, but it’s about how much is stored above the minimum allowed level.

From my experience of the 330e it would start to re-gen into the battery as soon as it was down to minimum and into petrol mode. If you give it the full jandal into eBoost mode it will deploy all it has, which can be very little.

That said, the petrol on it’s own is reasonable in that 80-120 sprint if required.