Sign in to follow this  
Kodachrome

Where to get metal plates for DIY seat mounts in Wellington?

Obviously I dont want to pay for a full 2.4m x 2.0m sheet but someplace selling cheap cuttoffs, ideally 4x 60x440mm plates of either 4mm (approx) steel or 10mm Aluminium?

I've gone to Ullrich in the Hutt for small bits of Ally. Be nice to them, they will usually charge you by weight, (i.e. b**ger all)

I find it alot easier to get em profile cut. If you aren't capable with cad some profile cutters will do it for you for a bit extra 

1 minute ago, thorburn said:

I find it alot easier to get em profile cut. If you aren't capable with cad some profile cutters will do it for you for a bit extra 

I use Fusion 360, so could lay it out..  But who does this service and supplies the plates etc? 

What part of the country are you in? There's plenty of options. Every one that I've ever dealt with has their own material. 

Edit: oops should have read the title... Wellington 

Edited by thorburn
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, jom said:

I've gone to Ullrich in the Hutt for small bits of Ally. Be nice to them, they will usually charge you by weight, (i.e. b**ger all)

Ok, went with Ulrich. Quote for 4x cut pieces of 10mm Aluminium was $157 plus GST. This was less than Altrus who also quoted. Wouldnt call it bugger all, but was was ok. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Kodachrome said:

Ok, went with Ulrich. Quote for 4x cut pieces of 10mm Aluminium was $157 plus GST. This was less than Altrus who also quoted. Wouldnt call it bugger all, but was was ok. 

They were big! I was thinking of the 60mm thickwall tube I got - 30cm long - which was 10 bucks. Are they cutting out the profile or just providing 4 bits of plate?

4 hours ago, jom said:

They were big! I was thinking of the 60mm thickwall tube I got - 30cm long - which was 10 bucks. Are they cutting out the profile or just providing 4 bits of plate?

Nah, just cutting the part into the 4 sized pieces. I'll drill the holes. 

1 hour ago, c.robertson00 said:

Well, that would have saved me about $100 if you were a few hours faster!  :)

I guess aluminium offcuts are like 8 times the price of steel..

Edited by Kodachrome
  • Sad 1