Sign in to follow this  
BMWE90

Solution: Convert to manual

Hi Team

Been a long time since I posted when I had my E30. Became responsible and bought an auto 2006 e90 320i a few years back. Not sure if that was a fantastic idea. 

It recently started having issues with gear changes. Please see below

- taking off from zero feels like the gears are not engaging then suddenly does and give an uncomfortable nudge

- going into second revs go up high and goes into second quite hard.

- as you are slowing down to zero at a stop sign it goes into first rough

- going from park to drive up the driveway it rolls back. 

- if you change it to tiptronic mode as you are going it automatically goes into DS mode. 

- took it to a local mechanic who said the diff was also in bad condition which was replacemtn and ATF replaced.

- problem remains!

Anybody else seen such issues before?

Going down the road of getting work done on the transmission seems more then the value of the car. I wonder if a manual conversion may be better? Anyone got any idea of costs or what could be wrong?

These have so many issues and are massive money pits that its probably cheaper to get rid of it now.

• Like 4

Wouldn't think it'd make much sense given it's a 320. The issues of those engines are notorious and well documented. Even if you fix the gearbox, you're still left with a ticking time bomb. Not a great starting point either way. Best cut your losses. 

• Like 3

Cheers guys. I agree, feels like best bet is to let it go. Its been a good 8 years but feels like more things will pop up. Start fresh

• Like 1

Thats a good run so yeah good call.