Sign in to follow this  
E90 learner

Original coil from car has a grease on it? (n46 e90)

Hello,

I am changing my ignition coil coz my n46 is no 140k and vibrating at cold start. When I removed the ignition coil, The original coils seems to have a grease on it?   The replacement bosch/Goss of one of the ignition coil has no grease on it.  Is that grease normal?

Now , my new coils are delphi.  The only step that i should do is, put some dieletric grease on the tip using cotton buds and insert right? I have a video posted for this. Please advice. Thanks

Edited by Toksis

Not sure on the coils. I don't put anything on mine but might not be best practice.

The rough idle might be a stuck idle control valve. Could definitely use a clean and a lube up after 15 years anyway. Would also clean the throttle body and MAF whilst in there. Might not be the main cause but would definitely help. 

This vid explains how to use dielectric grease on coils... 

Cheers...

• Like 1

Thank you guys!

Anyway my symptoms was this. When cold startup.  When RPM is up 1000 rpm. It shakes. Then if you wait when it go to below 1k and stay there in 750 i think. It will be normal.  One time it happens when I tried to press the pedal and move the car, it hesitates.

@Vass -- where is the idle control valve located? Car is n46 e0- 2006. Ok i will clean the throttle and maf and idle control valve

@jon dee Thank you for that. How do you load the youtube like that? I will edit this post so that my youtube vid will like that too.

N46 doesn't have an idle control valve. Idle is controlled via the valvetronic (valve lift) and throttle body.

Have you scanned the car for fault codes?

Edited by F10er

oh that rings a bell!

Last month I have this.

29F5: Catalytic-Converter Conversion 2

2DCA No message from EGS, receiver DME, transmitter EGS/SMG/DKG

2A67 DME:Valvetronic, internal Fault.

I have research the 2 error and they said they got fix with new set of coils.

The 2 problem above did not happened again so far.

2A67 --> hopefully will not happened again after changing eccentric shaft sensor gasket. 
This happened twice. Maybe this happened after a long drive to the motorway...

It will most likely need a new eccentric shaft sensor. The tell tale sign of a failing sensor is when it starts filling up with oil like yours has.

You could try cleaning it and see if that works, but if it keeps leaking oil into the sensor, it will need replacing.

You can also adjust the idle valve lift to help smoothen the idle out. You need ISTA to do that though.

When I checked it, it has like oil on the left side of the plug not all of it. Not full. So do you mean, my rough idle at cold start could also be cause by the sensor?

Replacing a shaft sensor is not a DIY job .... bummer.

My rpm on the dashboard is not erratic up and down though. 1k rpm some noticeable shake then at 800. Normal no movement on the needle pointer.

2 hours ago, Toksis said:

@jon dee Thank you for that. How do you load the youtube like that? I will edit this post so that my youtube vid will like that too.

Just copy and paste the link that appears above your video when you view it on YT. Delete the link you have currently and you're good :)

• Thanks 1