Sign in to follow this  
Funkyflynz

E36 - lowered car performance (squat vs anti Squat)

Hey all,

The old touring cars series, BTCC for example had e36's running super low and obviously handling extremely well on track.  

Im interested to know how they managed to do this, esp in the rear,  im running a low car and the first issue is camber, once you dial this out with adjustable lower arms you run into toe issues, specifically toe out with not enough adjustment left to dial it out, this necessitates offset rtab bushings and in my case modified toe buckets as well.  However you are still limited .

What i did next was raise the rear subframe - approx 10mm.  this gave me a little more toe adjustment without affecting camber. 

Next step would be to go true coil over rear with adjustable top arms, this would address any toe/camber issues.  However... (and this is what ive been getting to).....

Lowering will affect squat, in fact the more you lower the rear the more squat you induce.  This due to the fact the front trailing arm pick up point remains in the same location.   With more squat you get more geometry change thanks to more suspension sweep (under power)

So how did the touring cars overcome this?   Some secret sauce?  any knowledge out there on reducing squat with a lowered trailing arm rear?

Any help appreciated.

MicrosoftTeams-image (8).png

Pretty sure that all the mounting points were completely custom and had no relation to a road car, effectively they didn't lower the car they designed the ideal geometry and fabricated the chassis changes. 

1 hour ago, Funkyflynz said:

modified toe buckets as well

buckets= brackets?. I fitted a set of Driftec ones to my mates car they gave him a huge amount of toe in, around 10mm iirc

Seen many high end race cars use these:

https://www.mk-motorsportteile.de/en/p/bumpsteer-camber-und-rollcentrum-correktion-kit-e36-e46-wtcc

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eagle said:

buckets= brackets?. I fitted a set of Driftec ones to my mates car they gave him a huge amount of toe in, around 10mm iirc

Seen many high end race cars use these:

https://www.mk-motorsportteile.de/en/p/bumpsteer-camber-und-rollcentrum-correktion-kit-e36-e46-wtcc

Im using nerptech offset rtabs. But the amount of toe adjustment you end up with will depend on your camber and how low your car is.   I have 4mm total toe with -1deg camber currently and its very low.  

that kit looks the business, havent seen anything like that before, thanks for the link.  Not sure in will be spending $2k on it but might be able to make something up perhaps.