Sign in to follow this  
rf_key

E46: Does engine roar indicate a problem with the automatic transmission?

I am writing from the third world, where I have just made a longer round trip. My 2002 318i (95'000 km) with automatic transmission was reliable, and that's a good thing, because you shouldn't rely on BMW service there: Either they don't have one, or they declare themselves not responsible because it's a foreign car. I have not been able to find out whether there are workshops for which this would not be an obstacle, and BMW in Germany prefers to remain silent.

But in the last few days before the return transport, I noticed with apparently increasing frequency that the car tends to only hesitantly transfer the propulsion to the wheels when starting (roaring of the engine). If, on the other hand, it rolls, then it seems to be going to some extent. That would remind me of the transmission. Warning lamps do not light up.

I would still have to drive several hundred km from the port of arrival before being back in my familiar surroundings. Can I get there on my own? Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be? Could it be that the transmission oil just needs topping up?

So you are trying to say you think the transmission is slipping? Could also be an engine problem. I dont think anyone is going to be able to diagnose it over the internet in a situation like this. You'd probably need a workshop to look at it because you can't really do or check much without the car off the ground, you'll also need tools and a scanner even for a basic checks.

Thank you, interesting point. Although I still tend to think it is rather something with the transmission. Would anyone offer a second opinion?

What do you mean by roar and hesitant transfer of propulsion? As in you have to rev it higher than before to get up to the same speed? Pretty hard to give you any informed opinions based on some very vague descriptions, you're really just taking stabs in the dark without scanning it or at the very least a visual inspection, both under the hood and underside of the car. A roar and loss of power could be something as simple as a severe vacuum leak. Check your intake boots for any obvious cracks as a first step.

Yes, english not being my native language, I'm aware of linguistic deficiencies. In fact, in this situation I felt so insecure that I let Google do the translation and then limit myself to proof-reading.

What I was trying to say is this. Normally, when the wheels act as mechanical load on the engine (with the transmission as the intermediary), the torque produced is just being handed over without any 'fuss' - business as usual. But presently, there are moments when (stepping on the gas pedal) the engine revs for a moment while there's no traction, before things gradually get back to normal. This happens usually when starting to accelerate.

Could this clarify the situation and enable you to possibly assist with some more concrete tips, regarding the probability of being able to keep driving from the port to the home base?

Edited by rf_key

Depends how much you care about the car. Ideally you would stop driving it and find out what causing it. A car like that in NZ you'd drive it home, because if it is the transmission the repair is worth more than the cars value.

Hm, I see. You know, it is not my intention to write off the car because it needs the transmission serviced. Presently, the question is if I should have it done near the port of arrival (where I don't know the workshop and the language is different, which is a downside), or should I try and reach the home base, which is another 800 km of motorway driving. And my present situation developped in recent days (out of nothing) while driving about 200 km.

BTW, this is not about my NZ car (but it's almost identic), and the geography is not NZ. But obviously the same could have happened in relation to NZ, so asking the question here in the hope of getting some expert advice should not be illegit.

My only concern for transiting is if there is a palpable risk that I might 'suddenly' lose forward traction. Can I expect a gradual (slower) deterioration, and as a linear process, which might allow me to extrapolate the further outlook? Would you need any more detailed info (which) to make any prediction? And do you have some experience of your own with this situation, to allow you to make prognoses?

Go to the closest workshop to wherever it is that you are. You don't have to engage them to do any work if you have trust issues, but the least you can have them do is lift the car up on a hoist and do a general inspection, and probably scan the car for any codes that might pinpoint the issue. Won't cost you much and you'll get a much more accurate diagnosis that you will by posting vague descriptions on here.

Yep. No one can advise you on your problem accurately over the internet, even we could you don't have the ability to do any checks or repairs yourself. The transmission may already be too far gone if its slipping and a service may not fix anything. It may stay the same for 2000km or 10km, we can't know.

Its up to you whether you want to do risk driving it or not.  Take to a workshop if you care about it or take a gamble and drive it.

The NZ comment was in regards to the cars value, i have no idea where you are or what a car like that costs, but here its a $2000 or less car so not worth fixing if something like a transmission fails. Its a poor choice of car for reliability and they don't tend to be looked after either. Preventative servicing is critical to avoid problems, transmissions can be working fine one day and give you problems the next.

Surprisingly, I now also received advice from my BMW workshop who sees a likelihood of a 'worn clutch' in the transmission. They also advise to have it checked after arrival by a local workshop. So then I see in what direction to go. Thank you all for your input!