Sign in to follow this  
Sketch

Cat converter probs

Hey, i have a 2006 320i E90  Mspec and im popping a P0430 code

Catalytic converter system low effeiceny bank 2'

My mechanic reckons i need a new catalytic converter.

Im wondering if i can just Straight pipe it.

will this mess with the Computer or anything? what does the O2 senser plug into if its just straight piped?

Is it even legan in nz?  just dont wanna spend 3k on a second hand converter and labour. 

No it's not legal to remove the cats. It's a WOF fail. It will bring on the check engine light if you remove the cats, then you have to get the DME flashed to turn it off. Quite costly either way. You will have lots of other problems pop up as well with a 320i. Probably best to sell it and get a 6 cylinder one. The 4 cylinder engines are not good, to put it politely.

The cats are part of the exhaust manifold on these cars. Its not legal but people do hollow them out. Still going to have codes though. 

Don't know what your mechanic has done to diagnose it's the cat, could be a bad sensor or a leak etc. Either way if it is actually the cat then its likely something has caused it to fail, burning oil is very common in those engines. 

Id just keep driving it, as long as its not blocked then shouldn't have any major drivability issues. These engines arent worth spending any major money on.

On 1/29/2023 at 12:39 PM, Sketch said:

Hey, i have a 2006 320i E90  Mspec and im popping a P0430 code

Catalytic converter system low effeiceny bank 2'

My mechanic reckons i need a new catalytic converter.

Im wondering if i can just Straight pipe it.

will this mess with the Computer or anything? what does the O2 senser plug into if its just straight piped?

Is it even legan in nz?  just dont wanna spend 3k on a second hand converter and labour. 

Hiya, 

if you decide to straight pipe it i can reflash ecu for you so you wont have those codes.