MD13

Too low

Yes very happy. Thanks for the advice Eagle!

• Thanks 1

Odd thing happened yesterday. I was driving to Orewa last night. I looked down at the cluster because a "check brake light' message popped up and I noticed the temp gauge pointing to the red!

Queue sudden panic! Light traffic so I slowed and pulled off onto the shoulder and as I came to a halt the temp gauge promptly went back to half way... I didn't smell anything and the BP station was just around the corner so I drove her back onto the motorway heading north. Temp gauge stayed at half way so I went to Orewa. Couple of hours later I checked the engine and fluid levels which were fine so drove home with the temp gauge staying at half way.

Any ideas? Dodgy sensor perhaps or maybe fan clutch?

Do the hidden OBC unlock and bring up the coolant temp so you can see what its actually reading under different conditions. The gauge being buffered means if it goes even a few degrees out of its normal middle range then its going straight to the red zone. 

Cooling system refresh is always a good idea as you probably given its probably on old\unknown parts. Never really heard of sensor failing but you can almost guarantee the thermostat and fan clutch are original. When i buy a car i usually remove the radiator at the same time and clean out all usual debris on the front of the fins and the AC condenser area. 

• Like 2

Pixel fix time. Saw Sreten do it so ordered the parts and this hasn't gone well... 

Looks like someone has been in here before...

20230528_123257.jpg

Marked and ready to pull...

20230528_124201.jpg

The needle won't come off...

20230528_125733.jpg

So where do I buy the motor's from? I don't see them on pixelfix... Or should I just get a new cluster?

Edited by MD13
  • Sad 1

Found the step motors here - motor

Even with pliers I can't pull the needle off the pin... Might have to buy a second hand cluster and use it for parts.

Edited by MD13

I had the exact same thing happen when I was swapping the overlay in my 530d from a MPH one to metric, I got a cluster from pick a part and raided it for parts. I even got a set of needle nose pliers and ground them down really narrow to get in the gap and hold the motor shaft, didn't help!!

I think I still have whats left of the spare cluster if you want it.

Thanks Andrew - were you successful in the end? Looking for a little hope...

3rd failed attempt at this cluster repair. Time to give up and pay a professional 😞 Recommendations for an expert? I would prefer Auckland if possible.

Got the cluster repaired and re-installed it this afternoon. I've been driving it on occasion with the donor cluster and was worried the mileage would be off at next WOF but it seems to have autocorrected 🙂

Only off thing is it appears to think it's -20C outside. Hopefully that comes right with some driving also. Recommend Robinson's Instruments in Onehunga.