Sign in to follow this  
jom

E46 Rack into E36 - machining?

My 328i Coupe has just failed a WoF for "worn tie rod" on the right hand side. It isn't worn, but the rack teeth are worn around the straight ahead position. I have tried to source a good E36 rack, but there don't seem to be any guaranteed ones available. so - E46 racks are more plentiful, but then I need to machine grooves in the inner E36 tie rod for pressure equalisation between the rack boots. Lots of info on the web about doing it ("took it to my local machine shop") but I can't find the details of what to do anywhere. I can cut the slots on my own mill if I could only find a diagram. Can anyone help?

Why not use E46 inner rods?

Apparently they are the wrong length

Cant say ive heard of that one. Im running them in my Ti which has the same front end steering parts as all E36's. Works fine with the E46 purple tag rack and E36 outer ends. 

Here's what you need to do if you keep your e36 inners:

SteeringTieRodCuts01.jpg 

You can alternatively use e46 inners that already have the vents, you lose some lock doing this because they're slightly longer (although some manufacturers, I can't recall which, have them the same length). The amount of lock you lose is negligible. On the other had, the work above cost me like $20 which was less than I'd pay for e46 inners.    

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Here's what you need to do if you keep your e36 inners:

You can alternatively use e46 inners that already have the vents, you lose some lock doing this because they're slightly longer (although some manufacturers, I can't recall which, have them the same length). The amount of lock you lose is negligible. On the other had, the work above cost me like $20 which was less than I'd pay for e46 inners.    

Brilliant, thanks Dave. To the point and pictures too! I already have one rack inner, so I'll buy another one and machine the grooves. Now where was that 2mm ball nose cutter...?