Murph4

335i Cylinders 456 not firing

Hey guys, I've recently upgraded my E36 328i to a newer E91 335i but I'm having issues with it

i was just driving around and all of  sudden lost cylinders 45&6

I've checked the coils they are all fine, replaced all spark plugs and changed bank #2 O2 Sensor

but no change its still only firing on 12&3 cylinders.

any help on what this might be or is it a common issue?

much appreciated. 

also i should mention apparently its got a stage 1 MHD tune done by the previous owner.

would need to read codes, but could be DME mosfets if its MSD80. Fairly common issue.  

yeah the more i look into it the more it looks like thats the issue,

whats the best way to fix it? just replace it or...

can get the mosfets replaced which is significantly cheaper than replacing the entire DME. 

• Like 1

@promo will be able to help with the repairs.  Based in wellington.

• Like 2

Ah the old MSD80. once its got a tune on it the MOSFETS run at a higher voltage. Courier the ECU to me and I'll replace all MOSFETS with higher voltage ones so it doesnt happen in the future. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks for the reply promo, How much would i be looking at the get the MOSFETS replaced with higher voltage ones?

hey guys ive just had confirmation that its not the injectors and that it is the MOSFETS in the ecu

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 7:44 AM, promo said:

Ah the old MSD80. once its got a tune on it the MOSFETS run at a higher voltage. Courier the ECU to me and I'll replace all MOSFETS with higher voltage ones so it doesnt happen in the future. 

do you know how much higher the voltage needs to be on the mosfets so this doesn't happen again? 

Hey guys, looks like the issues I was having was caused by the MOSFETS so I had them replaced with higher voltage ones thanks again for the advice, however when it was getting it diagnosed the garage I took it to swapped around injector #6 with #1 to rule out the injectors (which it did) however when they refitted the injector brackets they fitted the one that holds injectors 1-2 and 5-6 upside down so they weren't secure. as a result it has caused #5 injector to bounce around snapping the bracket holding injectors 5-6 and also snapped the metal fuel feed tube to #5 injector. I've managed to get another fuel feed tube however I'm struggling to find a injector bracket. would anyone on here have one I could buy? Cheers in advance Mark

bmw.jpg

• Sad 1

On 8/10/2023 at 7:44 AM, promo said:

Learn something new every day!