Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Classic Vehicle Status and WOF's

I came across a classic vehicle review of a E34 535i Sport in Ireland.  He mentions their NCT (WOF) can be exempt for immaculately kept classics.
I looked into it a little more and it is for any vehicle over 40years old.  It means they only require a check every two years.
https://www.irishvintagescene.ie/new-nct-legislation/

Wouldn't this be great for NZ.  An extended WOF for classics meaning no more 6 monthly waste of time and money as long as your car is not a pile of junk.
As our Rego/WOF/RUC system looks to go digital these sort of categories could easily be added at the same time.

• Like 1

A classic status would be good but the whole 6\12 month WOF was always a load of crap, aged very poorly too. They should of extended it or just kept it the same.

2000-2010 era cars are the worse for WOF failures in my experience, cheapish to buy and have 12 month WOF, people drive them no cares given to the next WOF and end up with big list. Pre '00 are better as they tend to be looked after more\still on the road and get the 6 month checks. 

• Like 1

@Driftitsounds great in theory, and I’ve heard of similar in other countries, but who is to decide if your car is “a pile of junk” or not? Could be very open to interpretation and mis-use.

For personal reasons I would love a vintage/classic status for WoF in NZ, but the 6 months isn’t that much of a hassle and for $60 its good to get someone else* to have a look over the car.

* - disclaimer, as long as you can get a good WoF inspector who understands older cars and doesn’t dream stuff up.