mmario

Top Strut Mount Bolts

Hi Chaps

Just finished my first big job on the E39 rather proud of myself however it was not without incident :)

Changed the front struts (OE Sachs) and all hardware, tie rod ends and sway bar links, hardest part of the job was seperating the balljoints and compressing the springs...sketchy.

I did manage however to snap off one of the strut mount bolts  , I was so angry at myself.

my question is..I have punched the old stud out, can I now just go and buy a bolt to fit and away we go ? , the old stud is just a press fit so its impossible to tighten once you have whacked it out. (can't grip it from the bottom).

Hopefully that's clear.

Screenshot 2023-11-13 092218.png

Edited by mmario

I remove and reuse those studs all the time. They have always gone back in fine using the same nut to draw them in and holding/pushing them up by hand.

I'd just get a 2nd hand one. They are stepped with splines so unless you get a bolt with with the same step or add small washer to fill in you are leaving a small gap. 

Yeah that's what I did at first, used one of the studs from the old mount , it's just spinning in place though when I try to tighten the nut.

I will try again using the same nut if I can get it off the broken stud.

Cheers

May of rounded out the hole a bit. Could try to lower the strut down and try to press it in with a c clamp. 

After much swearing and cursing eventually got it tight without taking the strut back out !

To anyone who has an E39 with worn suspension/struts man what a difference, just feels so good now.

Just ordered the rear rebuild kit !

• Like 1

Id wager the vast majority of cars on the road need new struts\shocks

• Like 2