Herbmiester

Buying a non runner

I will admit I am a sucker for punishment. Now we have that out of the way,  I am looking to buy a 2000 E46 323i that has issues. It starts and runs but above idle it has no throttle response and literally wont rev. At idle it sounds ok, no strange noises, clunks or bangs. A mechanic who stated he doesn't know much about BMW's made very little headway with it and gave up. Its missing a few bits from said mechanic who seems to have lost engine covers and the airbox. it has a battery that is too small, but does start the car and allow it to idle. I get no response from the DME when I connect my K-Dcan cable. I vaguely remember that K-Dcan is only for newer BMW's, so that's maybe why. If that's the case, will the ELM327 Bluetooth scanners work with it? The car only has 163k kms and looks to have had some love in the past. Guy is asking $1200 for it and I have been watching a whole load of M539 videos so obviously I am primed for a project. 

gallery carousel 1gallery carousel 6gallery carousel 8gallery carousel 9

What software are you using the scan it? OBD2 port under the dash i assume?. 

If i was doing it id clean the MAF, probably the throttle body and ICV, smoke test for vacuum leaks and put back on an airbox  

For the No DME communications problem

• The E46, 323 still has the 20 pin Pacman diagnostic port under the bonnet.  The lid has to be on that port for the OBD2 port in the cabin to work.
  • OBD2 port is only for the DME and EGS.  The rest of the modules get accessed via the Pacman port.  You need pins 7 and 8 joined in the OBD2 end of the K-Dcan lead to read all the other modules.

For the no rev problem:

• Clean the Idle control valve.  It controls the first 12% of throttle opening.
  • With the engine running, floor the accelerator.  It no rev's then the DME is holding the engine at idle due to a fault somewhere.  Either Throttle body or ASC\DSC throttle control
  • Check that you don't have an ABS light up.  I've had one case on a E46 328 where the ABS module had failed and was changed but not coded.  The engine would start and idle but not rev.  Coded the ABS module and all was good again.
Edited by NZ00Z3
  • Like 2

Thanks that, really good advice, great to have a starting point.