Spinner99

Removing Soft Touch Plastic

This weekend I thought I’d bite the bullet and start sorting out some of the interior scuffing in the 130.  I had seen on the M539 video on the B7 (Project Chicago) that Sreten managed to clean up the look of the scratched trim which got me inspired so I gave it a go too.  I started with just one small piece that was the also the worst in the car, I've attached a before and after photo below.

I used

De-Solv-it in place of Liqui Molly Orange Power cleaner, from Bunnings.  https://www.bunnings.co.nz/de-solv-it-125ml-multi-purpose-cleaner-spray_p0172055  It’s also an orange based degreaser and seemed to do the job.

Lyndar Plastic Primer Filler from Supercheap  https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/lyndar-lyndar-plastic-primer-filler---400g/376306.html .  Note it’s grey in colour rather than clear.  It doesn't matter but I think from watching Sreten's video I just had it in my mind it would be clear.

Lyndar 1K Matt Black paint from Supercheap  https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/lyndar-lyndar-1k-acrylic-matt-black-400g/637895.html

Sometimes I found the coating came off easier rubbing it with my thumbs than using a brush, other times the brush was the only way.  Overall I’m pretty happy with the new look.  One thing that jumped out at me when I put it in the car is it’s a bit blacker than the other pieces around it, maybe a colour closer to dark grey might have been a better option?

M539 video showing the process Sreten went through - 16 mins in is where he starts working on the soft touch plastic.

Before.jpg

After.jpg

• Like 4

Hey there Spinner, I'm looking to do the same on some of the plastics, but same issue, those paint cans that Sreten used are not available in NZ. I'm on the lookout for a solution. My interior is not all that bad, but I'm looking to refinish likely all the plastics anyway.

I did a test on an piece of abs plastic with plastic primer and leader paint spray but came out glossy and awful.

Personally, I just rubbed off the rubbery gunk to expose the bare plastic and left it at that. Have just been putting on some protectant a couple of times a year (Aerospace 303). Looks nice and matte, a few years in and don't really see the benefit of putting on some coats of paint. 

Edited by Vass

Ugh soft touch.  My Maserati had it everywhere and all of it was sticky.  It takes ages to clean off and then repaint.  I used this, but probably any paint would do.  Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Aerosol Paint, Flat Black - 311g | Supercheap Auto New Zealand