Sign in to follow this  
Gus

5spd swap prob

i recently did a 5spd swap, and had problems with the starter. sounded exactly like when my bushes on the started went, but apparently the starter is fine, but its not meshing with the flywheel properly. any reason why? As far as i know both auto/manual are identical. i don't really see how i could have put it on wrong so that it drives fine but wont mesh in properly...if it was in wrong, it would be in wrong and be a lot worse?

any thoughts? Pain in ass

well thats what i thought, either that or bushes. apparently the guy replaced the starter and its doing the same thing? unless both buggered?

Measure the distance from the mounting face for the starter on the bellhousing to the ringear and then the distance on the starter from the mounting face to the extended point of the gear. That will tell you if the 2 should engage. But I am not aware of starters with different throws..

All my stuff is still in the container and with no garage at present, no hope of getting some starters out for some time to check, so you'r on your own for now... :wacko:

maybe take a starter to an autosparky and get them to check the solenoid and throw... :unsure:

Will

Will - I still have a spare starter that goes (it is the one that was on the way out that you gave me a replacement for after the Miranda meet)

I'll bring it down one day after work if you want a play. Need to scam a favour anyway.