Herbmiester

Z3 vs E36 Front suspension differences.

I have been looking to replace the front struts on my Budget Z3. I found some struts for an E36, but the website says they are not compatible with a Z3. I have sport suspension so that may well be part of the issue, but I am wondering can anyone confirm if there are any differences between an E36 sport strut, and a Z3 Sport strut. I am assuming there may be some valving differences. Has anyone been down this path before? BTW, I am actually enjoying a Sunday drive in the Z3, it's not fast, being a 2l M52, but with the top down its a pleasant experience.  

z3 has much shorter struts and little lower springs 

so yes will fit but will lift the front up quite a bit 

• Like 1

Thanks Brent, I am struggling to find struts. I have found some Sachs Z3 OEM shocks but they dont state they are for M Sport suspension, any thoughts?

9 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Thanks Brent, I am struggling to find struts. I have found some Sachs Z3 OEM shocks but they dont state they are for M Sport suspension, any thoughts?

part numbers for 6cyl z3 msport type

https://www.google.com/search?q=31316753262&rlz=1C1GIWA_enNZ599NZ599&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=31316753261&rlz=1C1GIWA_enNZ599NZ599&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

and older part numbers 31311094191 & 31311094192

Edited by BM WORLD
  • Like 1

Thanks Brent, funny this is exactly where I ended up last night. :) Taking the part numbers out of Real OEM. 

In the Z3 community, it is normal to fit standard Z3 shocks to the Z3 sport suspension.  The difference in ride height is only 15mm.