marchant.oliver

WTB / Sourcing S54 and Getrag 420g

WTB / Gauging availability on S54 engines preferably complete and Getrag 420g transmissions. Had a look through forums and seem some for sale in the past but not sure on what sort of pricing or availability there is now. Hopefully looking for both with under 150k kms and in good condition. Still gathering funds for it all so just seeing what’s out there. Will be going into an e46 touring so any tips or leads on that side of things would also be appreciated if anyone’s done similar swaps. 

Cheers

• Like 1

I also look into this exact thing from time to time. I leaned on buying a complete car in the UK (or whereever) and parting it as the best chance of success. You can use Picclick to look at all eBay sites worldwide to get an idea on engine only pricing.

FWIW, my brother accepted a $16k trade in on a 2001 E46 M3 Manual in Oz 2yrs ago. Ive seen engines going for that now.

There has been a couple of 420g's lately on trademe and facebook recently. The one on trademe hasn't been relisted in over a month, the facebook one appears to be still available

I'll more than likely have mine for sale late this year.

S54's are plentiful in the USA for around $3500 - $4000usd for one with about 100k miles on it, they were half that pre covid and I regret one bringing a couple in then. 

Edited by Gaz

I think the last s54 to sell locally was the one weitz parted. I'm sure it sold for an eye watering figure.

Definitely best bet is importing one from the states, if I was getting one that's probably what I'd do.

Only thing to keep in mind is that you'll need quite a lot more than just the long block and trans to get it running in your touring. Many part differences between the S54 and M5X cars. You're better off just buying a donor M3. It's also not a plug and play swap, wiring and coding required.

Edited by Harper

Cheers for the info on sourcing, had a search and found a few pretty good looking options around 11k. Does anyone know people that can import things like that reliably and not spend half the price of the engine to import over here? Most of the companies i’ve seen that can ship engines cost an arm and a leg to get it over here which was expected but not as much as they’re quoting. 

I do also realise that i’m going to need plenty of extra parts but I don’t have the space for a parts car and everything that comes with that sort of two car project so just the engine and gearbox is probably the way to go for me. 

I'm guessing you saw the engine/trans that mpartsww posted for sale for about that much. You could get a quote direct from them if you haven't already. Probably no way around the big shipping cost unfortunately. Shipping bulky items overseas has just skyrocketed over the last handful of years.

But honestly you'll save so much money by just buying the cheapest M3 you can locally. It doesn't make sense otherwise imo. By the time you get an engine and trans here you're 2/3 of the way to just buying one and in guaranteed running condition etc. Not to mention all the parts you need, intake parts, wiring harnesses, exhaust, cooling system, AC lines, power steering lines, fuel lines, EVAP lines, trans mount, driveshaft, many others.

Not to mention the extra parts that are not required but will make the swap better and easier, cluster, M3 brakes, sway bars, full M3 rear end and LSD, EWS.

If you actually list everything you need and start pricing it, you'll quickly realise getting it piecemeal is uneconomical. Not to mention having the rest of the car left at the end to part out and recoup cost.

I really considered M3 converting my compact but ultimately decided against it since I'd likely never see any of that money back so I 330 swapped it instead.

Edited by Harper
  • Like 1

I was quoted $1000 to bring a gearbox in from the West Coast of the US to Christchurch by these fellas, https://gtlogistics.co.nz/ who came recommend by someone else who I'll probably use once I'm ready. You'll also have to factor in customs, duty, gst etc.