Jun

BMW i4 for 75k

I still have a soft spot for BMWs and I4, first EV I have driven.  If you haven't bought an EV and looking for one, this maybe a good option because of low price $75k (relative from new price $110-120k).  That said if you just add 10k more already fetches a Model 3 performance, which arguably better in a lot of aspects.  But if you want a softer ride, conventional looks, feels like a BMW, etc. this might be a good choice.  Roughly 40+k depreciation.

2023 BMW i4 I4 Edrive40 | Trade Me Motors

I suppose this is a silly point, since if you are spending this much on car I suppose that efficiency is not that important to you but, since you brought up the comparison to a Model 3... the model 3 is 25% more efficient than an i4. (that is, it uses 25% less energy (electricity) to go the same distance).  BMW's luxury EVs have some of the worst efficiencies on the market, but I guess it's good they don't burn petrol?  I will easily concede that I, as a BMW driver, would undoubtably be more 'at home' in the BMW. Also, I would never own a model 3 because the interior and gauges are ridiculous... made for techies, not drivers.    

• Like 1

Tesla's efficiency is really good, motors, software, and weight all play a part. That's why we went for a Model Y (about 1,900 kg, 200-300kg lighter than an i4). Price gap was big, and the BMW had less standard features - like heated steering wheel and rear seats had to be optioned on the i4. But the i4's has:

• Can tweak regen
  • Adjustable suspension
  • Fake sound  (actually helps with driving feedback)
  • Cameras you can view (Tesla's got no 360 view, just rendering what it sees)

But the i4 beats most legacy carmakers on efficiency, especially when coasting (thanks to those induction motors)

Funny thing is, the Model Y's interior turned out better than we thought. At first, compared to my wife's Cayenne or BMW's Merino seats, it seemed cheap. But after using it, it's just as comfy, maybe even better. The i4's Vernasca or Sensatec doesn't feel any nicer, just looks fancier. Got used to no instrument panel and sometimes prefer it. No distractions just steering wheel and the road, feels more pure. A HUD would make it perfect though. 

Two years in, couple things bug me about the Model Y:

1.  Steering's too sharp (2 turns lock-to-lock). Our daily driver feels twitchier than an M car
  2. Stiff suspension - great on twisty roads but harsh on speed bumps for everyday driving.

The i4 feels more like what you'd expect for a daily driver compared to an M5. The Model Y's great value, but guess I'm still a BMW  at heart - always browsing BMWs on TradeMe, new and old! 🤣

DSC02053.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Good summary there Jun. We have a Tesla Model 3 for a few years now, tested both the I4 and IX3 and even the IX (much nicer in person than I thought it would be). Would love any of those BMW's (or an I5!) but the price performance is simply miles off on the BMWs. Miles and miles and miles. 

Saying that, you can negociate massive discounts at the dealers on the BMWs, the Tesla's are already aggressively priced and cannot be negotiated (or even traded in against unless you like to burn money) at all. 

• Like 1