Antonio318i

New Member From Christchurch

Hi All, I have recently purchased my first BMW, a 2000 BMW 318i with a 5 speed manual gearbox.

I have come from owning a 2004 R50 Mini which was my first car, and I am loving my new (to me) BMW.

I haven't done much to it yet, just basic servicing and maintenance. I also tidied up the exterior with a decent polish and some European sized plates.

I can't wait to get stuck into my BMW and make it the most perfect factory base model E46 in existence, or at least that's the plan anyway. 

No doubt I will be on this forum a lot, so I cant wait to learn all I can about these BMWs.

BMW_E46.thumb.JPG.b0754fae3ec6acc518c2361f74c527e5.JPG

• Like 3

Nice one, looks a great purchase! Think I've seen it up for sale a wee while ago. Will make an awesome daily being manual and having the older, less problematic 4-cylinder. E46's are awesome to tinker on, should serve you well. I reckon it'd look great on some Style 68 wheels, make it a bit more sporty whilst still keeping it looking original and period correct. Keen to see what you do to it. Just please don't go sticking all sorts of Aliexpress M-stripe trash all over it hahah

• Like 2

Thanks very much. Style 68s will be my go to when I eventually put some new wheels on it, I love they way they look. I will also post updates of what I change and do to it. I am looking to keep this pretty OEM so don't worry, no tacky AliExpress parts will go anywhere near it hahah.

Way more reliable engine than anything in a mini. Highly recommend replacing the 2x plastic coolant fittings for cheap overheating insurance if not done already - one at the back of head and one under the manifold. p\n 11531709232 & 11531708808. 

Usually do the PCV\water hose and pcv valve at the same time as its all connected - p\n 11157501567 & 11151743386. Water pump and coolant expansion tank bottle if not done are also good preventative measures, along with the thermostat which are usually bad (run cold) Temp gauge is buffered so you wont be able to tell from that, so you need a scan tool with live data or unlock the instrument cluster to display coolant temperature (google it)

Thermostats are usually bad and run cool and DISA valve diaphragms are usually worn causing some power loss. You can get the diaphragms on ebay and its only usually the smaller one that goes bad. O2 sensor for good maintenance. Belt pulley tensioner bearings can get worn over time.  

• Like 2

There's a wee coding mod you can do to make the temperature gauge more accurate. Removes the buffer and gives a way earlier indication in case of something going wrong. Happy to help with that, takes all of 5 minutes. That's assuming it's got an OBD2 port and not the old style round one under the hood?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Way more reliable engine than anything in a mini. Highly recommend replacing the 2x plastic coolant fittings for cheap overheating insurance if not done already - one at the back of head and one under the manifold. p\n 11531709232 & 11531708808. 

Usually do the PCV\water hose and pcv valve at the same time as its all connected - p\n 11157501567 & 11151743386. Water pump and coolant expansion tank bottle if not done are also good preventative measures, along with the thermostat which are usually bad (run cold) Temp gauge is buffered so you wont be able to tell from that, so you need a scan tool with live data or unlock the instrument cluster to display coolant temperature (google it)

Thermostats are usually bad and run cool and DISA valve diaphragms are usually worn causing some power loss. You can get the diaphragms on ebay and its only usually the smaller one that goes bad. O2 sensor for good maintenance. Belt pulley tensioner bearings can get worn over time.  

Thank you so much. I plan to keep this BMW for ages as so far it seems like a pretty good one so any preventative maintenence I can do is well worth it. It used to stay cold for ages and last weekend I replaced the thermostat which has fixed the issue. I will have a look at replacing the parts in the cooling system you have mentioned to give me peace of mind. I went to have a look at the DISA valve not too long ago and it looks like it has been messed with in the past. It's as if someone has removed it and tried sealing it up, but has done a really bad job so it won't be easy to remove.

49 minutes ago, Vass said:

There's a wee coding mod you can do to make the temperature gauge more accurate. Removes the buffer and gives a way earlier indication in case of something going wrong. Happy to help with that, takes all of 5 minutes. That's assuming it's got an OBD2 port and not the old style round one under the hood?

Just read that E46 Fanatics forum post, I had no clue this type of thing existed. Thanks very much for making me aware of this buffer as I have always assumed that it has been at operating temperature as soon as it has reached half way on the temp gauge. This is definitely something I would like to fix. I have the cable so I can connect to my computer through the OBD2 so I'm assuming I just need the PA soft software?

9 hours ago, Antonio318i said:

DISA valve

The outer seal can go bad and cause a vacuum leak and the flap can wear and get rattly. You can buy the outer seal separately. The whole DISA unit was $500-600 new but you can get them 2nd hand at pickapart, wreckers etc.

PA soft software

You just buy the whole unit package from trademe or aliexpress

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/tools-repair-kits/meters-testers/listing/4885607931 

Just read that E46 Fanatics forum post, I had no clue this type of thing existed. Thanks very much for making me aware of this buffer as I have always assumed that it has been at operating temperature as soon as it has reached half way on the temp gauge. This is definitely something I would like to fix. I have the cable so I can connect to my computer through the OBD2 so I'm assuming I just need the PA soft software?

What cable do you have? PA Soft uses a specific one, as pictured below, and won't work with the regular K+DCAN cable unfortunately. They're only around $20 on Aliexpress though, one of the very few things actually worth getting off there :D Should be able to find a link to the software online, if not then shout out, I should have it somewhere. But yeah happy to code it for you over the weekend sometime in the meantime.

FS: PASOFT BMW SCANNER 1.4

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vass said:

What cable do you have? PA Soft uses a specific one, as pictured below, and won't work with the regular K+DCAN cable unfortunately. They're only around $20 on Aliexpress though, one of the very few things actually worth getting off there :D Should be able to find a link to the software online, if not then shout out, I should have it somewhere. But yeah happy to code it for you over the weekend sometime in the meantime.

FS: PASOFT BMW SCANNER 1.4

Just checked and turns out I lost the cable hahah which isn't much help. I will get to ordering one of those scanners as they look like they would be very helpful. And if your not too busy that would be really good, thanks very much.

Welcome @Antonio318i yes you've struck gold, the balance of the 4 cyl e46 is lovely, and the M43 is the one to have.

Plenty of useful info on here, and plenty of love for the e46.  You've got a bit of a unicorn with the manual!

5 hours ago, Olaf said:

Welcome @Antonio318i yes you've struck gold, the balance of the 4 cyl e46 is lovely, and the M43 is the one to have.

Plenty of useful info on here, and plenty of love for the e46.  You've got a bit of a unicorn with the manual!

Thanks very much, nearing 2,000km in my e46 now and loving every moment of it.