Sign in to follow this  
Chrisblob

E60 540i, upper rear control arm bushings

Hi all, my 2006 E60 540i failed a WOF this week due to play from stuffed bushings in both rear upper control arms. My mechanic said usually its best to buy complete arms/bushings as a kit rather than faff around replacing individual bushings - he tried to find local parts but couldn't source any in the South Island; he reckons it would be around $1300 all up to get parts down from AKL and swapped in. Has anyone here had the rear upper control arms replaced on their E60? If yes how much did it cost? The car has about 150,000km on it, and the N62 has slow leaks of both oil and coolant, plus looks to be needing valve stem seals done in the near future. I've planned on updating to a G30 530e or 540i (with that lovely B58 straight 6) in the next 12 months - so I'm not that keen to spend big dollars on repairs for minimal return when I go to sell the thing, I'd be happy with parts value for it.

An option might be grabbing rear upper control arms from a wreck at pick-a-part; the Chch branch has 2 or 3 E60's currently, but I'd need to be careful to ensure that the bushings on those are OK. I would also consider faffing to replace just the bushings if that would save me some money.

Does anyone have an opinion on best option moving forward?

Cheers, Chris W, Chch

Find the part number on realOEM by plugging in the last 7 digits of the VIN and looking at the parts diagrams.

Order whichever parts you need from somewhere like spareto or fcpeuro. Spareto has been my favourite recently, tends to be the cheapest supplier and orders typically arrive within a week if the items are in stock.

bmparts chch should have them 

not that expensive new 

these all wear out 

As above pretty much. Waste of time\money getting 2nd hand ones as they will likely be very worn original items with torn boots at the minimum.

You can get aftermarket Meyle upper arms for around $250 shipped from Spareto (usually arrive it 4-6 days)  

https://spareto.com/products/meyle-track-control-arm/316-050-0054 & https://spareto.com/products/meyle-track-control-arm/316-050-0055

Edited by Eagle

Thanks all, I'll confirm correct part numbers and look to order replacements from one of the online parts suppliers mentioned 👍

Cheers, Chris W, Chch