Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

dash removal E30

Hi, anyone know a good article on removing the dash from an 89 318i on the web? Cheers.

Thanks, excellent site.

just remember this is for a LHD car so bits might be on opposite side to where described..

doing a dash swap tomorrow coincidentally..

Hi, have removed the dash, and am getting ready for the roll cage, hopefully next week. Trying to remove all the tar on the floor so my cage man can get at everything, then on to stripping the headlining out. Shouldn't be as bad as the dash I hope. Reckon I've taken 90 kgs of carpet, tar and sound deadening out of the cab already. Cheers.

are you doing an E30 series car ? I was sure you bought a 4 door ... I guess your allowed it anyway.

I did get a 4 door, but also a 2 door coupe, Sucker I guess, got 740 as well, Bought the 4 with a blown motor, changed that and found the box stuffed, so changed that and have it running now, but missing a bit at low revs, might have a vacuum issue somewhere, or maybe a high tension lead problem? Have started gutting the 2 door, getting ready for the cage, still have to do the manual conversion as well, have the gearbox, need a pedalbox. Cheers.

What was the best way of getting that sticky black sh*t of the floor pan, Gbox tunnel??

Need to do the same to my old mans E30. It looks like a tough job...

Hi, not too bad, I used a heat gun to soften it, and a heavy scraper to lift it, took about an hour to do the inside. Good luck.

this method is all good and done, but my poor NZ New E30 doesnt seem to have a steering lock, can anyone suggest a methodto getting the steering wheel off that doesnt include a saw or cutting tools.

Edited by E30stz

Turn it to full left lock.

if it doesnt have a steering lockwhats stopping the wheel coming off? it should do anyway...just undo the bolt, make sure the keys are in and turn it one notch, and yank hard, making sure not to hit yourself in the face

Haha - truat you to find a way that involves a) yanking and b ) risk of injuring yourself Gus. If you turn it to full left lock first it'll come undone - no "yanking" required.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

im meaning a yank for a normal person....for me its just a slight tug.

turning it full left, cant say ive noticed it makes much of a difference...then again its always been easy to take off, but andys having trouble....probably the steering lock stuck on still