Sign in to follow this  
Silver Fox

Total heater removal

Anyone got a good site with details of total heater and aircon removal please?

Are you going to be using it again? Mine was poked so after removing the rest of the interior i smashed it out with a crowbar ^_^ i spent forever trying to figure out how to unplug the bastard so in the end it met the garbage heap :P

I know of a site that tells you how to do it the nice way but i know know it by heart. I will post it tonight :P

Guest Andrew

If this is for your racecar - leave the heater in. You will find it a major PITA if you can't demist the windows (or you'll have to install a front window heater to demist)

Hehe HEATERS ARE THE DEVIL!!! :rambo:

Hey Andrew ever heard of rainex? They have an anti fog version aswell for the inside of the windscreens. I bought some on sunday and stuck it on the Mrs car, works a treat if you use both in their respective ways. Also let me know how that front demister of yours goes when you get it going... Also did you block up the vents where you wipers are mounted? I filled mine up with newtech and bog and gave them a paint to get rid of the cold draft :pimp:

EDIT: SPELLING

Edited by sakdbma

BTW air con pipes are a PITA to get out unless you feel like going crazy with a hacksaw 'giggity' :banghead:

thanks for the advice, yes it's on the racer, still want to get all the aircon works out, can this be done any other way?

With the 2002 I removed the heater core and then put all the ducting & fan back in. It seems to demist OK just using cold air. It's not very often that you're cold when you're wearing a race suit.

On further checking, the std heater demister must be retained, so seems I'm looking for a heater core? Can anyone help? Thanks.

Guest Andrew

Hehe HEATERS ARE THE DEVIL!!! :rambo:

Hey Andrew ever heard of rainex? They have an anti fog version aswell for the inside of the windscreens. I bought some on sunday and stuck it on the Mrs car, works a treat if you use both in their respective ways. Also let me know how that front demister of yours goes when you get it going... Also did you block up the vents where you wipers are mounted? I filled mine up with newtech and bog and gave them a paint to get rid of the cold draft :pimp:

EDIT: SPELLING

Have been using rain-x .. found it worked OK. But in a car that fills up with water and has no heatsheilding - it gets pretty damn misty.

On further checking, the std heater demister must be retained, so seems I'm looking for a heater core? Can anyone help? Thanks.

buy a heater box from a car that doesn't have aircon. They are much smaller and easy to install.

To remove the old box, remove the 4 nuts from the studs that protrude into the vent area under the windscreen. Get to them by removing the cover that hides and seals off the fan for the heater. Remove the coolant pipes going to the heater and pop the rubber seal inwards. Get under the dash and remove the 2 aircon pipes from their connection to the heater box. Pull off the 3 drain pipes attached to the heater box, one near the gear lever and the other 2 on each side. Remove the rubber mount attaching the heater box to the floor near the gear lever. Once all these are removed etc, grab the bottom of the heater box inside the car and yank it hard inwards. It normally resists coming loose so carry on till it frees itself. Having someone pushing the fan housing down from inside the engine bay helps here. The 4 studs tend to hook up sometimes as well so these need to come free before the box will come out inside. The heater pipes can also hook up on the firewall so the other body in the engine bay can also keep an eye on these and push them if necessary. The main bit is it tends to stick up on the carpet. If you replace it with a non-aircon model, this box stays well clear of the tunnel so is easy to remove and replace. Both models you can replace the small radiator inside the box without removing it, just a bit of a fiddly job.

edit.. Graeme McCormack lives near you in Papakura, he usually has lots of useful E30 bits, he may have something, give him a yell..

i smashed it out with a crowbar  ^_^

remind me never to let you near my cars... :drugs:

Edited by topless

edit.. Graeme McCormack lives near you in Papakura, he usually has lots of useful E30 bits, he may have something, give him a yell..

remind me never to let you near my cars... :drugs:

Haha not as bad as it sounds.... it was stuffed anyway, and there was nothing else in the car so i didnt damage anything else, it was the most feasable and fastest way at the time :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have some heater cores. Phone me on 021 136 7007 or 09 299 7942 or PM me if you want one.

Thanks Graeme, yeah, I'll give you a call, The heaters out so I could remove the aircon core, guess I'll leave it out until I've done the pedalbox which won't be for a couple of weeks as the cage's going in next, will ring.