Sign in to follow this  
danutt

what kind of sound?

its a 1.8 auto i know they arnt good but hey im not gonna change yet so i was thinking id ask what kind of sound will i get from the car driving or idling if the following was done:

a race camshaft (294/0.352lift)

no catylictic converter

stock rear box on exhaust and

a pod filter on th inlet

how will the car sound ?...nice?

anyone done these to their beema wat was it like and the sound opinion please

i know its a 1.8 and yea itl go manual soon and no im not doin an engine conversion gas prices haha

brrrmmmmmm..............

damn funny man

but seriously would it be raspy or deep or loud or droning sumin along those lines as an opinion

Well not in relation to BMW's specifically but my friend running a 1.6L toyota 4age gets a whistling high pitched noise at full revs but thats only noticeable from outside (puke race track end straight) and hes running different cams, no cat and pod.

It will sound like a honda - but not as good.

little more detail??

It will sound like a honda - but not as good.

Yeah man, you should do it, it will sound sweet, especially at the high revs.

Yeah man, you should do it, it will sound sweet, especially at the high revs.

any clips i can watch or listen to?

thanx

318i auto with a race cam on video ? lol. I dont think anyone would have the integrity to post a video of a auto 318i.

The sound of your car will vary but it'll still be essentially same thing you started with except with a rougher idle, you'll still have that basic auto acceleration and a slightly different sounding exhaust. Race cams are built for... just that, probably wont notice much performance unless its a manual as auto is so damned restrictive.

The high revs thing I was talking about probably wont apply because there isnt a road long enough in auckland to pull that sorta speed lol.

Edited by E30stz

With the standard rear silencer it will probably still sound like your mother's car...

The cam will just make it sound like it is misfiring on idle, not give you much if any performance increase and just trash the fuel consumption you are so proud of at the moment...

The accelerator pedal on a 318 auto should be re-named the volume control. When you put your foot down on it nothing happens except the motor makes more noise... fitting a pod filter will simply make this nothing-happening noise louder so you could hear nothing happening above your sound system...

im only changing the cam because the stock one is now worn so it needs changing and its not expensive to do so coz im getting the labour done frre of charge so the cam itself and rockers and gaskets are very similar in price to the stock ones so replacing with a cam that does even the slightest thing to improve performance would be great and i was just curious as to how it would sound in an exhaust system stock but withourt the cat and being auto

thanks for the input

any more thoughts or experiences withe these motors etc is greatly appreciated

7 times you have posted this topic

7 times you have been told the same thing

and 7 is just a rough guess. i wasnt going to be bothered looking it up.

since petrol is so expensive, and since a racecam will make no noticeable difference except in increasing your fuel consumption and make you sound funny at idle, why not save it buy a normal cam even if it is the same price, save your fuel money and spend it elsewhere somewhere where you may feel a difference like a higger diff ratio or something?