Sign in to follow this  
m325i

Starter motor

When I start my car there is a buzzing and a long delay before the motor turns over. Is this my starter motor on the way out?

probably....you could get it rebuilt for around 250, or find a 2nd hand replacement...prob run you around 40-80$, depending which 2nd hand E30 parts vendor you decided to frequent

Would you be kind enough to point out where the starter motor is?

Posted Image

i have starters .

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its a cylinderical unit (not shown in pic) but sits at about the head of the 8th arrow facing the ring gear teeth in the pic.

If you have an alarm/immobiliser fitted, it is possible for that to cause a buzzing and difficulty to start if the relay is faulty. So if the buzzing is from inside the cab, go for the immobiliser, outside, check the starter. Also check that the solenoid activator wire is firmly on the solenoid terminal and that the battery wire on the starter is tight and the contact terminal to the battery is clean. Also check the earth wire between the engine and motor is tight and making good contact.

Do these basic checks first, getting the starter out is a really sh*tty job... :wacko:

the buzzing sounds like it is coming from that plug on to of the/next to the intake plenum(?) (number 7on that diagram)

the buzzing sounds like it is coming from that plug on to of the/next to the intake plenum(?) (number 7on that diagram)

thats normal, its cool

Hi, that's where your starter is, under that intake. It bollts into the gearbox bellhousing, tucked in beside the block, has three wires bolted onto the end of it. Chances are that one of those wires is loose, or the solenoid is failing, check the wires first, I've also known this to happen with a lose battery connection?

As Gus says, that bit (your idle control valve) normally buzzes.

Check all contacts to your starter and battery and earth strap. Failing which, go to a decent auto sparky and get his opinion...

As Gus says, that bit (your idle control valve) normally buzzes.

Check all contacts to your starter and battery and earth strap. Failing which, go to a decent auto sparky and get his opinion...

Hi again

All above true, if you do confirm crook starter I have a serviced unit listed on Trademe auction 62731196