Sign in to follow this  
silva323i

drive belt change

its time to change my drive belt im my e30 323i. i have loosened the belt but my problem is actully removing it. the pully driving the fan is blocking the belt from coming out and putting the new one in.

there is what looks like a bolt that is connecting the pully to the fan so i am guessing i need to remove this bolt somehow?? or is there another way?

also i thought i better change my power steering belt as well but looking at the position of the belt and pullies it looks quite difficult to access the tensionisor. will i need to get under the car to do it or sumthing??

You should have removed the power-steering belt, aircon/alternator belt and fan belt etc already. The fan pulley (water pump pulley) comes off with 4 bolts - the drive pulley on the crankshaft comes off with 6 bolts. Have you removed the radiator etc? It's alot easier if you do.

Yes - it is quite likely that during a cambelt change you may actually have to get under the car!

dam and i thought it was going to be a quick job.

the radiator is stil on as well as the other belts so it looks like i should get on to getting that stuff off

cheers

Just some advice.. do NOT remove the fanbelt driving the fan until you have shocked the large nut holding the fan to the waterpump loose. It will secure it enough to allow a sharp blow to the spanner to loosten it. AND note that the fan securing nut is a left-hand thread.

I will be doing this job soon on my M325 and intend to do a photo post of the job step by step if anyone is interested?? It is really a simple job if the right sequence is followed. And yes, crawling under the car can be necessary if you have an aircon radiator up front, otherwise you can access everything by removing the grill and radiator and working through the front. I also remove the bonnet to make things even easier.. B)

Will

thanks for the advice. i had to postpone changing the fan belt because i cant seem to find the right spanner for that 'large nut' il have a proper look for it in that mess i call the garage sumtime 2mrw.

i think i 2 may take off the bonnet for better access, makes me wonder what the point of a reverse opening bonnet is..

a step by step guide would be very handy, after all we all have to change the belts at sum stage or another

cheers