Sign in to follow this  
TronSpec

AutoSports Chip

Has anybody had any experince with these? I've bought it for my non vano's 2.5 m50. I'm going to get it running before I get it installed. Can't find any information about it on the net :blink:

Got it from a guy off tradme. He bought it for is e36 but his motor was vanos and this chip is for non vano's apprently. So he bought another one and sold this to me. He's given me instructions on how to solder it into the ecu but other than that no other information.

Where did you buy it from?

Dont take this the wrong way but......

You really want to research things like chips prior to shoving in the car and hoping they will work.

By looking at the chip from the photo, Id be running away from putting anything in my car that labelled "race spec".

To build a car to "race spec", generally involves a bucketload of machining, and a bucketload of improved new engine bits going into the car, and then generally you tune it with some form of aftermarket computer. If you are buying a chip described as "race spec" then I would expect that it would be supplied with some of the other engine components required to make the whole package work.

A number of chips may not work for the car you have, depending on the which market the car was sold on, and which market the chip is designed to work for. And unless you know the chip is going to work, from either experience of friends, I would be doing the swapover in a controlled situation....on a dyno with A/F monitoring.

I wouldnt buy a chip unless you can see what the expected dyno results are going to be like, and have a guarentee that if the chip doesnt perform then you get you money back.

If you talk to some of the tuning/dyno companies, and read some of the magazine articles, you will find out that a lot of chips may only pull up red lines, and dump more fuel in, and in the end will cause the motor to die prematurely, and some chip actually either do nothing for the car's performance, or make it worse.

If you really still want to put the chip in the car, you want to be looking at getting another ECU, so if this installation goes pear shaped, at least you will be able to drive the car on its original ECU

I agree with what Darryl just said. I've only had bad experiences with chips that were supposed to be the trick but the dyno results prove they were severely detremental to performance.

In future i'll go with a piggy back chip that's properly dyno tuned. It may be a little more costly but the end results will be far more satisfactory and they're able to be adjusted should further engine modifiactions occur. Chips are designed for a specific setup and don't take into account different intake, internal, and exhaust modifications.

People that don't dyno before and after throwing in a new chip and then saying it's better are talking through their arseholes.

Edited by Carl

Reminds me of when you could buy a 1/2 race or 3/4 race or full-race cam .The Poms still sell cylinder heads this way [stage 1 or stage 2 whatever?]

Race spec chip? what sort of racing? [Tractor pulls? Oval track?] seriously if there are customers out there, maybe I could get a stamp cutter to help me build my own "race spec" chips to sell cheap [on Exchange Basis]

Don't expect miracles from it [the guy on Trade-Me didn't]

Yeah I agree with you guys

I only paid $50 bucks for it so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm going to buy another ecu and install it in that and see what happens. This guy I bought it off rekon's he's had good result's from his installation into his e36 but obviously I have not seen this with my bare eye's hence my suspision.

Yeah there's no way I would have chucked it in without some research