Sign in to follow this  
Jamiepo

Air con belts

The 3 belts on my 320i m20 need changing and I was just wondering whether it is necesary to have the aircon hooked up? It is de-gased, my current car has it and I never use it and I don't think I will need it on this car and don't plan to re-gas it anyway. Does it make any difference if I just don't put a belt on there, basically I want to know if it will do any harm. I will leave it all the so that if some buys it and wants to use it at some later date they can.

take it off, no reason to leave it on.

Will

Cheers Will and thanks for the other info, I got it all together the other day and it started first pop, gunna get it tuned sometime next week.

I've got the AC unit aswell and currently there's no belt on it due to an engine shifting off a broken mount so having it detached is not harmful, however, the AC belt is harmless if you leave it on.

Taking the belt off won't make naff all difference to your performance. If you want a performance increase take the whole AC unit out.

IMO if you have the AC unit then hook it up because the winter demisting and summer cooling properties are quite beneficial. I'll be hooking a new belt onto mine soon.