E30stz

Quick Questions

Just recently replaced ICV in my m40b16. this stopped the "hunting" at traffic lights.

But everytime i push the clutch pedal in, the engine seems like it is about to stall, then quickly bounces back up again in terms of revs, then settles. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: this issue was present before i replaced the ICV.

Check all your vacuum lines for leaks with engine starter and clean the whole intake tract (afm, pipe, throttle body) with clean-r-carb. Usually makes a big difference.

hi Guys,

just a lil problem my wipers on my e30 are'nt stopping in the correct possition. when i turn them off the wipers just stop dead on the screen. is this the wiperswitch unit or something else?

Thank-you. Ash

hi Guys,

just a lil problem my wipers on my e30 are'nt stopping in the correct possition. when i turn them off the wipers just stop dead on the screen. is this the wiperswitch unit or something else?

Thank-you. Ash

More likely the park mechanism in the wiper motor itself

check for any air leaks. also check that your base idle is set correctly... basically what is happening is that the revs are dropping back to idle when you unload the motor with no gas and the idle is not high enough to catch the revs as they drop.

Anyone got a how-to,to remove an apparently stripped lock nut from the top of an e30 front strut.

Turns ok (with shaft vise-gripped) but wont unwind.

difficultly... try angle grind it Very carefully and then when theres just a little bit left try and break it... be carefull not to damage the thread on the shock..

Nice thought oli but its recessed inside the bearing collar

Get a slightly smaller socket and hammer it on, then remove as normal... Uhm.. don't use a good socket.

E36 '96 Remote Key

My IR remote that is built into my key was working, until i took the batteries out to see what size they were, now the car does not respond to the remote but the light on the key still works.

I assume i need to reinitialize the remote but cannot find any procedures to do so (other than ones for cars with an alarm ... which mine doesn't, tried this anyway and didn't work)

Any pointers would be great.

thanks,

Get a slightly smaller socket and hammer it on, then remove as normal... Uhm.. don't use a good socket.

Forget the BFH-took a gas axe to it-carefully--& it worked lol

The centre of the thread was stripped so wasnt ever going to get it off.

New thread welded on.BINGO>

thanks for tips guys

E36 '96 Remote Key

My IR remote that is built into my key was working, until i took the batteries out to see what size they were, now the car does not respond to the remote but the light on the key still works.

I assume i need to reinitialize the remote but cannot find any procedures to do so (other than ones for cars with an alarm ... which mine doesn't, tried this anyway and didn't work)

Any pointers would be great.

thanks,

I did this aswell when I first got mine :)

1. Open car with key

2. Get in and close the door

3. Turn ignition to pos 1 briefly (max 5 secs) then off

4. Take key out, hold down unlock on remote and press the lock button 3 times within 10 secs

5. Release the unlock button

The car should then lock and unlock itself if this works, if not try again.

I did this aswell when I first got mine :)

1. Open car with key

2. Get in and close the door

3. Turn ignition to pos 1 briefly (max 5 secs) then off

4. Take key out, hold down unlock on remote and press the lock button 3 times within 10 secs

5. Release the unlock button

The car should then lock and unlock itself if this works, if not try again.

yea i ended up finding this process ... tried it multiple times and no go :(, yes i am pointing key at mirror when i do it :). i dont see why seems to work for everyone else. Maybe i need to feed the little German man in the glovebox or something first.

yea i ended up finding this process ... tried it multiple times and no go :(, yes i am pointing key at mirror when i do it :). i dont see why seems to work for everyone else. Maybe i need to feed the little German man in the glovebox or something first.

Call in and I'll do it for you. If you have 2 keys...bring both of them

Edited by *Glenn*

Started noticing a small patch of oil on the garage floor over the past week, Oil appears to be steering and not engine, Had a quick climb under the car with a torch and could see a couple of hoses coated with oil. No time until the weekend to take the splash guard off to have a good look but appears it could be the steering pump hoses.

Question, easy fix for me to do myself if this is the case or could it be something else under there i can't see with out the splash guard off.

Edited by M-Spec

Started noticing a small patch of oil on the garage floor over the past week, Oil appears to be steering and not engine, Had a quick climb under the car with a torch and could see a couple of hoses coated with oil. No time until the weekend to take the splash guard off to have a good look but appears it could be the steering pump hoses.

Question, easy fix for me to do myself if this is the case or could it be something else under there i can't see with out the splash guard off.

Will be resevoir to pump & pump to rack hoses, possibly the cooler hoses as well... you will need new hoses, 2 hose clips for the first hose.... check the others first though.

Edited by *Glenn*

It could also be leaking from the oil filter remote housing onto the same hoses and onto the pump. I suggest checking it properly first

It could also be leaking from the oil filter remote housing onto the same hoses and onto the pump. I suggest checking it properly first

Cheers Glenn will get it up in the weekend and get the splash guard off so i can have a good look.

Quick oil quedtion for my 96 m3.

Normally in my old e36 I would have just put in Castrol edge. I cannot find an oil on both Mobil & Castrol websites which indicates what my m3 takes. I have had a quick look through the service booklet of previous oils used with no help.

Can anyone tell me what my s50b32 would take?

Cheers

Quick oil quedtion for my 96 m3.

Normally in my old e36 I would have just put in Castrol edge. I cannot find an oil on both Mobil & Castrol websites which indicates what my m3 takes. I have had a quick look through the service booklet of previous oils used with no help.

Can anyone tell me what my s50b32 would take?

Cheers

I would use a 10w30 full synthetic for our NZ climate... Oooops and your climate

Edited by *Glenn*

are the little gas rams in the comfort seats exactly the same as the ones in the sport seats?

Sport seats just flop back when you pull on the leaver... but have two perfectly fine comfort seats I could rob for parts.

Cheers.

Arghhh!!!

I have a leak coming from the top of the oil filter housing on my 1998 540i. I know this can be caused by pinching the o-ring when replacing the oil filter. I took extreme care not to do this - but I have.

I've replaced the o-ring and it appears I must've pinched the new one too!!! Does anyone know how to install the oil filter WITHOUT piching the o-ring??? This time it appears worse than the last time - its p***ing oil this time.

best place to get the o-rings for the heater pipework on an E30?

Will try the dealer ASAP, wouldn't mind them so I can get the car back together as soon as.

best place to get the o-rings for the heater pipework on an E30?

Will try the dealer ASAP, wouldn't mind them so I can get the car back together as soon as.

Is there a Seal House in Dunedin ?

Arghhh!!!

I have a leak coming from the top of the oil filter housing on my 1998 540i. I know this can be caused by pinching the o-ring when replacing the oil filter. I took extreme care not to do this - but I have.

I've replaced the o-ring and it appears I must've pinched the new one too!!! Does anyone know how to install the oil filter WITHOUT piching the o-ring??? This time it appears worse than the last time - its p***ing oil this time.

Don't fit the oil dry. Apply a little rubber grease or engine oil. Check that theres no damage to the lip of the oil filter cannister

1987 325i racecar motronic 1.3,

when in low revs car sounds like its pinking very badly and can hear miss. not like a constant cylinder miss ie sounds like running of 5 cyls, but more of a sporadic miss amongst cylinders.

when revs get up still sounds like pinking but doesnt appear to miss. (either that or i just cant here it)

what i want to know is is the motronic ign timing adjustable?

i am going to check and probs replace the leads, cap and rotor with a good set i have in the garage. also going to replace the injectors as one is a different colour to the rest.

the other question is if the crank sesnor is faulty what does the ecu do? ie does it have a factory map that it reverts to?

looking to glen to help out with this. whatever it is is costing me a few kw. ohh and i have had a wideband o2 hooked up and it has always has a good mixture.

any help appreciated. i will do the bits a said above anyway but if someone could point out some other possible culprates that would be awsome...

cheers oli